Jump to content

- - - - -

7 5 2013 Crankbait

crankbait lure airbrush painting

7 5 2013 Crankbait

This started as a white bass pro shops bargain bin "tournament special". I primed it white, custom mix chartruese on the sides, a little pearl white on the top with a light blue spine and scale pattern. Yellow belly and pink throat. I used a red sharpie for the gill blood streaks and the dotted eyes and a black sharpie for the diamond kill dot. I used harbor freight 5 min epoxy diluted with rubbing alcohol and a tad of blue glitter mixed with it. Cured on the drywheel for 9 hours. I'm getting better and better... Whatcha think?

    • wasilvers1074 likes this

    Looks good Cyberflexx. You did a good job on the "fades" where the paint transitions from one color to another.


    If I were you I'd make sure the 5 minute epoxy your using for a top coat is waterproof and not water resistant. I'm not familiar with the Harbor Freight epoxy, but all the 5 minute epoxies I'm aware of aren't "waterproof". You might also check to see if it is UV resistant. I'm thinking that most of the 5 minute epoxies aren't. It would suck to have a good paint job ruined by the epoxy going bad or turning yellow.



    Thanks Ray.. I'm new to painting and not an artist by no means.  I think the diluted epoxy on my walmart acrylic paints help with the fading.  Thanks for the tip!..  I'll have to check on that epoxy before I paint anymore.  This was the only one that I have done with the HF epoxy, the others were Lock-tite brand from Walmart.

    This epoxy held up really well after an hour of fishing on saturday.  No tacky feel, no wearing off, no yellowing yet, says it dries clear.

    Jun 11 2013 12:27 PM

    Thought I recognized this one.  Good job!

    Thanks Will!