Jump to content

- - - - -

plopper tail1

plopper tail1

I made a Whopper Plopper tail from PVC and a sst Tally Wacker tail from LurePartsOnline. I used the anvil end of a metal working vice to shape and cup the metal, because I discovered that my ball peen hammer didn't make the trip north with me. A box with that, and all my wood lathe tools, seems to have disappeared.
Anyway, 15 minutes of hammering, checking, and adjusting got me a tail that spins when I put it on a shaft and shoot air over it.

Dieter, I am even more in awe of your metal working skills!
I will be buying another ball peen hammer, some more lathe tools, and a digital caliper soon.

    • barr5150 likes this

    Nice work Mark.


    p.s. When working with metal you can never have to many hammers. :D

      • mark poulson likes this

    Love the engineering schematic!

      • mark poulson likes this
    mark poulson
    Jan 12 2016 10:12 AM

    "If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer!"  Words to live by.


    That was a drawing of the original bait.  I find writing down the dimensions like that helps me figure out how to build.

    I made my copy 1 1/4" deep, to give the bait more of a keel, and to keep my ballast lower, to counteract the rotating tail.


    I ground off the sharp corner of the Wacker fin yesterday, and filled both sides where the metal comes out with bondo, to make farings for added reinforcement.

      • Musky Glenn likes this