Jump to content

Other images in Soft Baits

7 inch senko mold

A pop 7" senko mold I made.

It took one day each per half, and I let the thinned D2T sealer cure another day.

I added some yellow carpenter's glue to the pop to strengthen it.

Pours great when I inject it, but I get some small dents.

The duct tape on one half it to fill a small gap at the wood perimeter so the plastic won't leak when I hold pressure.

I put a small vent at the bottom of the cavities, and there is almost no flash.



10 Comments

Recommended Comments

Mark, That mold looks good.

I just recently started hand pouring my own baits, It is fun.  wish I could post pics, but I have the free version of windows 10 and it won't let me upload my Photos to the computer.

John

Share this comment


Link to comment

Mark,

Based on something you posted once, I started to apply a wood backing to my POP molds. One day I was injecting a mold and it split at the sprue so I decided to reinforce. I've been using whatever wood I have in the garage but I haven't considered fully encasing like you do. 

I have recently decided to use a short length of copper tubing to reinforce the sprue hole and it seems to work fine. I stumbled onto this idea because I needed a sprue extender for a 5 senko mold I made and I happened to have some 1/2 inch pipe laying around that fit nicely into the existing sprue opening.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, FrogAddict said:

Mark,

Based on something you posted once, I started to apply a wood backing to my POP molds. One day I was injecting a mold and it split at the sprue so I decided to reinforce. I've been using whatever wood I have in the garage but I haven't considered fully encasing like you do. 

I have recently decided to use a short length of copper tubing to reinforce the sprue hole and it seems to work fine. I stumbled onto this idea because I needed a sprue extender for a 5 senko mold I made and I happened to have some 1/2 inch pipe laying around that fit nicely into the existing sprue opening.

 

That is a clever idea!  Now you got me thinking,  always a dangerous thing!  Hahaha

Share this comment


Link to comment

The sprue extender was a necessity since my 5 cavity senko mold was sucking in too much plastic (super soft). Now it works great. I only needed another inch or so.

 

Here's a thought, why not use two lengths of copper pipe for the sprue when creating your mold, just plug up the ends with clay. pull out the longer length but keep about a half inch piece installed at the opening.

Share this comment


Link to comment
5 hours ago, FrogAddict said:

The sprue extender was a necessity since my 5 cavity senko mold was sucking in too much plastic (super soft). Now it works great. I only needed another inch or so.

 

Here's a thought, why not use two lengths of copper pipe for the sprue when creating your mold, just plug up the ends with clay. pull out the longer length but keep about a half inch piece installed at the opening.

 

I was thinking of using 1/2" couplings, which are closer to the 5/8" holes I drilled for my sprues.

Share this comment


Link to comment

What ever you have that fits and will add some support would be great. I just chipped a bit of PoP off last night when injecting. I have been hitting the area around the sprue opening with epoxy when I seal the mold and that helps as well.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Mark,

One other question on the molds pictured, do you frame them after the mold is created or do you pour in the frame?

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, FrogAddict said:

Mark,

One other question on the molds pictured, do you frame them after the mold is created or do you pour in the frame?

 This is a twofur.

I have not tried the Alumanite stuff.

I build matching shallow boxes with 1/4" plywood bottoms and 3/4"X 3/4"sides , and pour my pop into them.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×