Thought I would make a crankbait with a BB rattle at about where the eyes are. I designed a shape which is tall at the head area, to accommodate everything inside. I made 2 identical lures as size and shape, but they differ as construction process. One is a one piece lure, with drilled holes for twisted wires and lead, and the other one is the sandwich type, but not through wired. Using a Dremel type rotary machine, I made grooves for the wires on both parts of the sandwich type. I tried many shapes of lips with these 2 lures, but no one gave any of them a true action. The lures would lean on one side on retrieve, and changing sides from time to time.
I tested the lures in pot of water. They lean on one side. If I push the lure on the other side, the steel ball inside would go to the other end of the metal tube, causing the lure to lean on the other side. The angles are equal, so the lures are well balanced, but the steel ball is too high up in the lure. The one with the tow eye at the tip of the nose tends to almost have a good action, but shortly after a good start, will lean on one side.
I donít think I will drop the idea. First, I will have to lower the rattle, so as the tow eye wire will be above it. I also made some drawings on the template, to show you how the hardware is installed inside the 2 lures.
Oh, I almost forgot. I think that some of you have already recognized a picture that I used for one of the 2 lures: