Spike-A-Pike

TU Gathering April 25-27, 2008

I have been to all of the gatherings (as has KCDano, Coley, Charlie Mitchell, & DLAery) since the first one. It is not a formal affair just a bunch of guys getting together to build, show, talk, and trade lures for a few days. We meet at Nathan's house and gather in his shop.

As far as food goes, we have, in the past, grilled burgers, had a fish fry, and Coley put together one of his "Hobo's".

You might also consider bringing anything that you don't use any more or that you would like to share or trade. Things such as, lure blanks, lips or bibs, paints, wood or other lure materials. After all, we are a bunch of pack rats.

Understand that Clinton is not a big town but it has just about anything that you would need. There are several restaurants and a few other hotels besides the ones that have been mentioned. Nathan's house is about 8 miles outside of town. It's not hard to find.

If you have any questions or need any help, let us know. We'll do what we can.

Gene

Well Pete.

That is a rather interesting question. There was a fairly popular TV show in the states called Home Improvements with a comic named Tim Allen and one of the characters, Wilson, was Tim's next door neighbor. The entire run of the show, about 6 years, we never actually saw Wilson’s face. There would always be something, a fence, flower pot, a grill, something, that kept you from having a clear view of Wilson’s face…

As per dress code, a dust mask would be something we’d all identify, but it would mean drinking beer with a straw. You could go for the total effect, comfort and hands-free, by adding a beer hat to your kit.

Thanks Gene. That is just the information us first timers are looking for. Swap meet!!! Any thing else you can share is welcome. Nathan, is your pig still roaming the property? Just for the record, despite what anyone may be thinking or may have told you, I am not thinking of your piggy as a “dinner guest” but, I am getting a strong desire for some smoked baby back ribs in a St. Louis/Kansas City style Bar-B-Q sauce and Ice Cold Beer. Nathan, I’m not suggest your little piggy’s baby back ribs… How do I get in the middle of these situations???

Hey guys...as Gene said,this is a real informal gathering...with a whole lot of lure building knowledge flowing from everywhere. Saturday we will be fishing some private ponds for part of the day...Then in the afternoon will be show and tell.If you have a paticular Thing you want too demonstrate..please do...I hope KCDano will put on another painting demo for us....(This guy is amazing!!)..I'll do a blip on the brand new way I'm doing tails and fins...Sunday maybe a field trip day......Friday..it depends on when people are arriving..I'll figure something out.I've got a whole shop full of tools..and wood....so if there is something you want too learn or demo..speak up

Bruce....yep,Zoe still runs things around here.I want too warn you..Coley really broke her heart .He told her they were two ships that passed in the night..She was crushed....So she is a little guarded with men..:lol:..Nathan

Nathan, I plan on bringing a different air compressor this time so we can create some really toxic fumes. You will have to show the new faces how you build the rodent, a super lure it is, as well as the rest of the Bettencourt lure line-up! Plenty of things flowing alright, Beer and B.S.. I think with all the interest Bruce has shown in Zoe, I am sure Coley will make it, if only to defend his prize pig.

Nathan- I'm just thinking, if you have a wood lathe and some 'custom wood', I could maybe show anyone who is interested, how to make an "Australian Wheel', as opposed to an "English Wheel" - I can't believe some guys are still hand sanding convex/ concave curves-- Pete

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2136&d=1185665677

KC, I had been thinking, I have never operated a wood lathe anyway, so this would be a big problem. Any lathe type work I have done is with a sharpened end of a flat file and a lump of wood fitted in a drill chuck- very crude indeed, it works, but safety wise, not something I should be showing how to do.pete

Hey Pete, sounds like you will fit in nicely, with the unconvential outside the box way of thinking! I use my drill press for a vertical lathe, as well as milling machine. I bet you will take to operating a lathe like a duck to water, I am confident Nathan will let you take a crack at it. Personally, I admire the way you fabricate and make due with what is at hand. It is almost a lost art in this country. So please do share your knowledge and skill, I know it will be appreciated!

Bruce, yes it is becoming increasingly difficult to wait out the remainder. Try to stay calm!

Kc - maybe we will just see what develops, it' not rocket science anyway. I know what you mean about fabricating something out so someone elses nothing, I get as much fun out of this as I do making baits.

Spike, it seems like forever (like a kid waiting for Xmas). I have most things sorted , just working on a hire car, hire is easy, the insurance is killing me (thieves) but you have to have it !! pete

Pete,

I don't know the difference between an Austrailian wheel and an English wheel but I am interested in finding out. So, please reconsider showing us.

As far as the lathe goes, I don't think that you will have any problems learning. I'll be more than happy to show you what little I know about a lathe.

Gene