skeeterman24

Zip ties for jig skirts?

Once you learn how to wire tie them faster, The zip tie is slower. Plus it looks bulky and terrible on a finished bait. The extra cost is also something I don't like. Using wire with 2 wraps makes the skirt "poof" with body and the finish product looks alot cleaner. :yes:

I use the "beadery" copper craft wire. Comes in tons of colors and works great. Use 24 gauge as the lightest and 20 as the heaviest. 22 gauge is perfect for a starter but is harder to find sometimes. I use 24, but I have tied many of thousands and know the feel, pull and twist needed w/o breaking off.

When you really get into it, You need to try a pair of these. (6 in Manual return only) They are awesome. The key is to only wrap the wire 2 times around and use the pulling motion to tighten. Do not use the twisting to tighten.

I hope this helps... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/...s.php

The $48.30 are the ones you want

milbarWireTwister.jpg495240.jpg

g468.jpg

You are absolutly correct... The fish won't care if you use a zip tie. Most of the custom tackle makers here or anywhere like to be proud to show off their baits. This is where it counts most. The wire tied bait looks better in the water with more action from being poofed out more like a ball instead of skirt going forward and backwards.

I dont see how a person can pour,clean,prime,paint,clear, and then use a zip tie to finish it off.;) It's the lil' extra that makes them better than store bought baits.

I agree that a wire tied bait definately looks better, but the zip tie is an excellent idea. I will definately put it to use in the boat this next year for sure. There has been numerous times that I had a spinnerbait skirt come loose on the lake and had no way to fix it. And it will be a speedy way to customize a jig skirt while out there as well.

Great tool 21. Got one for safety wire for motorcycle racing and they work nicely.

I cant see using a zip tie, but that's me. The 'bump' at the connection just doesn't do it.:eek:

But I'm old school. I still use thread and a boppin for the skirts on jigs and the rubber band and a home made skirt tool for spinnerbaits.

I have done thread, floral wire, copper wire, and zip ties. Copper looks the nicest. I have decided to stick with zip ties. Super fast and easy, tight, last a long time, and the fish don't care. I lose too many jigs in the rocks to justify spending 10 minutes making one.