Milia B

Strangest thing caught by accident?

Just wondering if anyone would care to share the oddest thing they've caught while fishing. For me I guess it would be the time I thought I had hooked the bottom of the lake. After strugling to get my line free I realized there was movement like maybe I had hooked a very big turtle. Nope when I finally fought my big catch to shore I found that I had hooked onto a brand new fishing pole that someone must have lost in the lake better yet there was a nice Mepps spinner attached. Even nicer was the 8 pound Channel Cat that must have pulled all that gear into the lake in the first place. Pretty nice when you can hook a rod, reel, lure, and a big fish in one cast!

Once, while horn-pouting at night I casted my crawler out there and a bat swooped in and got tangled in the line. It was flying for a little while when I was reeling it in, which I have to say is weird fighting something in the air, but finally it fell to the water and I reeled it up fast. They are the ugliest things I've ever been close too but I still got it untangled and let it fly away. My friend and I talked about that for years.

Over the years I've brought up all kinds of things from rocks to freahwater clams and "old" fishing rods. I don't know if this counts, but once in a tourny I ran through a channel and some guy was fishing from one side of the channel to a ledge on the other side and I caught his rod with my boat;lol.

The best one was once while fishing a #7 floating Rapala stickbait a kingfisher swooped out of the trees and pick it up off the water. I opened the bail and let him take for a ways until he headed back to the trees. He flew probably 50 yards with it. Laughed about that one all day. Wish I had a video of it.

www.novalures.com

Last summer I was searching for a fish crib in over 15 feet of water and I knew i was close, but wasn't quite sure where it was. So I tied on an 1/8th ounce jig tipped with air and nothing else and cast it past where I thought the pile was, hoping to snag it and know for sure. After about 15 feet there was some good solid weight and I announced to my partner that I had found it. Then the pile started taking out line. It turned out that the jig had somehow managed to hook a four inch bluegill through the gill plate and then a 24 inch northern pike had hit the blugill!

A Canada goose and a little grebe. I landed the grebe, but the Canada goose took off and snapped my 2lb line. I felt guilty about that one, but what can you do.

My friend hooked a cow. Don't ask, we were kids. I still don't know what really happened. The same guy managed to hook his own ear, around about the same time.

He is semi pro now.

Dave

I make a trip to Canada every year for the last 20 and have seen some odd things caught by accident. My son caught a seagull and reeled it in so we could remove the hook. A buddy of mine lost his new 250 dollar fishing pole the first day while fishing a reef and while trying to snag it the guy fishing with him lost his. 2 days later I was jig fishing the same reef and somehow managed to put my jig through the tip of his pole and get it back:yes:

Since I most likely fish pressured waters in highly frequented areas , I have had a lot of different things but fish on my line through the years .

Just a few to remember :

Biggest "living thing" on the line was a practising diver from the Hamburg fire brigade , got him with my spoon by his life line , his bank team had a good laugh , when I came to them , asking for my spoon back:o !

When retrieving snagged up lures with my lure retriever I have already pulled up a nice 7 lbs anchor(used it for years , now it has found its rest again) , a bicycle(wonder how it got there in the middle of the swim at 18 feet ?) and two years ago I pulled up a 200 yard poachers net , full of fish in all grades of decaying:eek: !

Called the waterway police for it and they had the local firemen pull it out ,.... man.......that smell :eek:!

In a canal in Hamburg city I have once also hooked a ladies handbag , obviously it has been stolen , the containing wallet emptied and then dumped into the canal .

There was still an ID card inside , so on my way home I took it to the next police station .

Up to now I have also retrieved three rods with reels on them , I imagine the anglers drama behind each find , lol :lol:!

greetz:yay: , diemai

About 15 years ago, while fishing in front of an advancing storm, I cast out and caught nothing. Just air. My line and lure just hovered in an arch, never touching the water. Later found out I was seconds from being hit by lightning. The ozone charge rising up causes the line to suspend in air. And as soon as the phenomena passed, I kept fishing.

About 15 years ago, while fishing in front of an advancing storm, I cast out and caught nothing. Just air. My line and lure just hovered in an arch, never touching the water. Later found out I was seconds from being hit by lightning. The ozone charge rising up causes the line to suspend in air. And as soon as the phenomena passed, I kept fishing.

Been there. Pretty scary, eh?:eek::eek: Nothing to fool around with.

www.novalures.com

We were trolling on a freshwater lake mid winter, and covered in fog, our first strike was a guy on a single sculling shell, he had crossed over our lines - turned out the Australian Olympic team was having a training camp there that week, when the fog lifted, they were flying everywhere.

Also hooked a diver down the coast, was not happy.

The strangest thing though, is catching two fish on the same day:eek: pete

Post No6, ref the cow catch. I remember now. We had read an article on distance casting, were you swivelled around 360 degrees on your heels. My friend over did the rotation and cast into the field behind us.

He was all for reeling in the line, hoping that the treble would not impale the cow, which was innocently grazing, blissfully unaware of the pain comming her way.

We wound in as much as we could and then cut the line. All went well.

I guess this doesn't count, as technically, the bait was not in the water, only the intent.

Dave

I didn't do it, but my fishinhg buddy did. Trolling for chinook on Tillamook bay, with plug cut herring, Everybody was using the same bait, and the herring gulls were hanging around waiting for the herring heads to be tossed overboard. My buddy wasn't good about getting his herring down before it got far enough back for the gulls to make a try for it. Two gulls in one day. They could take off with the 4 oz sinker swing free below them. He had to play them back to the boat while they were in the air. Looked pretty funny, fighting a sea gull which was flying about 20 feet above the boat. Both of them released unharmed, the hook didn't really penetrate their bill, he just kept a nice tight line plus the weight of the sinker so they couldn't throw it or swallow the herring.

wasnt me however my dads old fishing buddy was fishing the grand river down town Grand Rapids Michigan and snagged a body...apparently it was someone that had jumped off one of the bridges a few days before.

The strangest things I have caught was a bird fishing with topwater and a frog when I was a youngin fishing with a worm.

So far i have only caught one seagul by casting into a school of wipers and the seagul snatched my lure out of mid air. Well the dumb thing tried to eat it and then realized it had hooks on it, thus forth the seagul tried to get the lure out with its feet. so now the seagul was hooked pretty bad. My dad was laughing at me when i was trying to get the hooks out. then it bit me! hurt like a :censored:. well got my lure back and now i dont cast into seaguls anymore.;)

Once I cast out a heavier float set up from the bank of my favourite water in Hamburg to reach a certain deep spot still just within casting distance .

But just a second after releasing the line to shoot out , it kept coming back towards me , instead of flying out to hit the water:huh::? !

After my first astonishment I looked up to see , that one out of a groop of flying low wild geese passing above me had caught my line with its wing !

The line pulled off the reel at incredible pace , and within a split second I started to wonder , what was gonna happen , if the spool would be entirely empty ,......... would I down the goose ,......... would only the line tear:?:??

But after some 80 to 100 yards of line out , the line fell off the goose's wing , my float dropped upon the small street on the dike behind the bank , only for a passing car to crunch it :(!

Nasty geese :mad::lol:!

greetz:wink: , diemai

One Spring my Mom, Dad and his buddy Shelby Osborne were fishing Lake Nimrod for LM bass. After fishing several hours and everybody catching quite a few, Mom caught two at a time on her Creek Chub Injured Minnow. As I recall one was just over 6 pounds and the other was just under 7 pounds - a nice catch. Shelby took pics and they decided to call it a day. Mom and Dad dropped Shelby at his home and they headed on home to clean those bass for a fish fry.

Shelby didn't stay home. He went to the local newspaper and they cobbled up an article with pics that went out on AP. That night every time the news ran and next morning and for days the phone rang off the table at our house. All Dad's friends and acquaintances in a three state area called. Why? Well the printed story was NOT, "Woman catches TWO big bass at a time!" Oh, no! The lead was, "Wife outfishes husband!"

For months everytime Dad went into the local sporting goods store, them good ole boys teased him so badly. Shelby claimed because of all the kidding he got, Dad refused to take Mom fishing for over a year!

Sometimes the strangest things caught on the lake take on a life of their own later off the water.

Good luck!

John

I'm mainly a bass guy but enjoy going trout fishing with my buddy Tom. The first time we went out on Kensico Reservoir in NY he had an old rod & reel he was using and I asked where he got it. Well he was fishing one day, thought he was snagged and pulled it up from the bottom of Kensico's 2140 acres. I thought that was pretty cool.

We went out about 3 weeks later and sure 'nuff, he thought he had some heavy fish or a snag down about 40 feet until he finally got the next rod & reel up to the boat from the depths of Kensico Reservoir.

Both were decent setups. What are the odds of that? :?

Best to All,

VinnyH

Hi, I once had a rod and reel pulled in by a fish.Went to the same spot the next day and managed to catch the rod with the fish still attached.I've also caught numerous ducks when using bread for carp baits,pelicans and sea gulls while saltwater bait fishing and once I even hooked an old shoe.

Baz.

I caught a largish 'flathead' last week (about 4 -5lb), the netter and I were congratulating ourselves when we noticed a smaller flat head (about 1/2 lb) hanging on the hook and on the outside of the net - it appears the larger was trying to eat the smaller and got his gill rakes and spikes tangled in the line, which was wrapped around both gills, we kept him and let the little guy go.pete