Vodkaman

Location frustration

I just don't get it!

I just read a thread that was basically all about location, yet FOUR of the participants have written very silly locations in their user CP. What is the problem?

The location is obviously not a secret, as they have already revealed the locations in the thread. The location information can be very helpful and gives the readers at least some insight to the author. True, the location field is not compulsory, maybe it should be.

If you are worried about people tracing you, then just put the state. Even your country is better than nothing. This is a lure constructors site not a terrorist discussion site. Other than me sneaking into your man cave, to find out which top coat you are using, no one is going to track you down.

TU is a community, not a blog.

Feel free to step on my neck now, but this is how I feel.

Dave

@ Vodkaman

I'd surely second to that , Dave:yes: !

I remember to have read similar statements somewhere in here before a time ago , but obviously some folks haven't caught up on it yet , for whatsoever reason !

greetz , Dieter:yay:

Dave,

I'm glad someone finally said it. I agree completely. I like knowing where our member base is located. I think that the location field should be mandatory and any "silly" location should be rejected. What can you possibly risk losing by disclosing your location? Besides, I have made two local great friends by knowing where their location was. Coley and Charlie Mitchell both live within an hour or so from me. Coley and I get together occasionally and talk regularly on the phone. We have exchanged a lot of information over the past few years that we might not have exchanged otherwise.

Gene

I agree with Gene I think it should be compulsory. It is pointless me telling someone who lives in Belgium to go to a store in the Uk for his Etex even worse telling say Hazmail that info. Pointless telling me to go to Walmart for something, you get where I'm coming from here (or is it going too :?)

Also its just plain fun to see all these post from world wide.

Edited by philB
Typo

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with location. Does it honestly matter where they are? If I tell some guy that lives in Mongolia I used Devcon does it matter. I assume that if one is smart enough to find this site surely they can figure out to search devcon, etex, etc... order some or find a similar product locally. If not then may their lures find many snags.

I find there to be much worse problems than someone putting they are from "down the street", "in my house", etc... for location. Just avoid these people if one doesn't like it.

Spot on Dave; I totally agree.

The way I look at it is that an honest person would no fear of letting folks on TU know where they hail from. To me it's only polite. It's like hiding behind a mask.

I'm not trying to stir anything up by saying this or start a big argument here. This is just the way I feel.

I say all this because everytime I see a silly location all I can think of; is this someone phishing for ideas they can sell to some large company.

www.novalures.com

I understand where some are coming from that they find it rude. I believe it is just different age groups. I find the lack of location about as "sneaky" as using "Lip Ripper", "Lead Head", etc. for a name. As far a big companies sneaking for ideas, please. They could put true name, city, etc... an no one would be any the wiser. Or these devious master minds could just use and alias Pete Smith, Possum Trot, KY........

I honestly just don't see how in earth it changes any of the advice one would give. Matter of fact it might just limit the information some would give. I guess I think we have enough rules as is don't need any more.

WOW you guys really get into the conspiricy type stuff LOL

who cares were the location is as you will never ever know if its real or not, even doing an ip search wont tell you were its coming from.

AOL ips come from Virginia so if every aol user had there real location how would anyone know its true?

Remember its the internet, you can't trust anyone n what they tell you even if you have emails and Ips if you coudl there would be no such thing as spammers.

I wont even know were mine is from until I make this post cause I never look.

Edit: Mine says peoria however I am in glendale, so now maybe I should make 2 log in names one for peoria and one for glendale? what happens if I am in texas fishing and online at a hotel room or driving to a lake 5 hours away down the interstate. just food for thought

Edited by Delw

I like the fact that people post a true location. Just makes sense to me. That one fact will help when advice comes up. As for trusting no one on the net, that is what my reputation and life is built on. That is what gets me a lot farther in life. If there was no trust I would not be a member of this site. I think you can post your home or were you visit from easy enough. I think your hiding if you cant post a location or posting bs.

I like the fact that people post a true location. Just makes sense to me. That one fact will help when advice comes up. As for trusting no one on the net, that is what my reputation and life is built on. That is what gets me a lot farther in life. If there was no trust I would not be a member of this site. I think you can post your home or were you visit from easy enough. I think your hiding if you cant post a location or posting bs.

Kelly how do you know its true? you don't and there is NO way to prove it.

You use your real Name so do I. but I have nothing to hide, like you.

most use just nick names they made up. I have many people on some of my fishing and hunting forums that Don't like people using fake names have tried to get me to make people use there real names. which BTW is impossible.

so is a location more important than a real name? the again how do you know its true?

there are guys on this forum with 2-3 names even though its not allowed and all the prevention is there they do it. of course fictisous names emails locations and even different ip numbers.

you can tell by the way they type, when they type and how they type.

requiring people to put a real location out there just wont work as you have no proof that the person really is from that place, thats his/her name age etc etc.

kinda makes as much sence as a soup sandwhich to require someone to do that. :lol:

Ive came across some really good friends on other sites who I found out they live in my state. Over time we communicated and found out we live within a few miles of each other and now we fish and talk together all the time. I would have missed this if we didnt list what state we were in. I know that not all people want to give detailed info out and I understand, but its nice to know what options peoplehave in other parts of the world in building baits and you might make a good friend just like I did. I would have never known my old buddy was down the road if we never would have communicated.

Delw, I see your point not knowing if its true. I guess the hider will be the one missing out and I know to steer clear of the people trying to hide something. It helps me like a billboard guess its better that tricking use in to thinking there some one else.

having "canada" for a location isn't really much more helpful than "down the street" or "at your mom's house".

I've had silly things in my location (not necessarily here) before... its more or less my sense of humor at work rather than trying to hide. I'm sure most of these folks are just having a little fun and if you're very concerned about where they hail from, simply asking them would probably yield the answer in short order.

having "canada" for a location isn't really much more helpful than "down the street" or "at your mom's house".

I've had silly things in my location (not necessarily here) before... its more or less my sense of humor at work rather than trying to hide. I'm sure most of these folks are just having a little fun and if you're very concerned about where they hail from, simply asking them would probably yield the answer in short order.

I'm assuming this was directed at me. If it wasn't I apoligize in advance.

If you look through some of my posts you will see that I have stated that I'm from Nova Scotia and more simple than that; all you have to do is click on my site and you will see my mailing address and email addy.

Can't get more clearer than that.

www.novalures.com

A guy posts a question and responders want to know where he fishes to answer it properly. You check the location and it's something cute, not informative. Screw it, if the guy is that clueless, he doesn't need help from us.