Jeep

Pike attacks pike -vid

@ Jeep

Great video , thanks for making and providing :yes::yay:!

As you said , this happened through Easter , so I am sure , that this attact is the final act of the spawning session .

Female pike , always being larger than the males , are wellknown to eat their partners after the spawning act .

And this event usually takes place around this time of year in central Europe , just two weeks ago I have vieved spawning pike stuck under some overhanging grass in a pond in my hometown , the female about 36" and the male about 18" .

He was still alive , since they were obviously still flirting :lol::lol:!

Some years ago in March , as I passed by , I have seen a large tailfin of a pike sticking out of a small ditch connected to another pond in my hometown .

As I approached to see more , I saw a big pike dashing away through that small ditch having a smaller one , approx. 16" crosswise between her jaws , just like a dog's bone !

She was also the about 35" size !

But also one ocassionally hears about "common " cannibalism amongst pike , but this is only , if there is no other sufficient source of forage for the entire pike population in particular waters .

So they use one stone to kill two birds , they get rid of competitors and fill their bellies at same time !

PS : For above reasons shortly after the spawning season lures in a pike color design are always recommended .

greetz , Dieter:yay: