kyratchethead

Do It Lure Body Mold For Inline Spinners

I have one and it is very cool if you go through a lot of in-line spinners and I've powder painted the bodies too, take some technique to keep the center hole open but the results are great and better/tougher than anything you can buy...I've also used the same pull pins on a banana jig mold and used that shape for in-line spinners too, made four tonight and can't wait to test them which will have to wait until at least April here in central Minnesota....

spray mold release on the mold and pins and pull the pins ASAP when the metal solidifies as it seems to get a little tougher once they are totally cooled down

painting is done with a toaster over and wires hanging the bodies from the rack, after the first coat, I try and turn the wire to break the seal so when I bake for the second time to cure the powder paint I found it was tough to release the wire w/o chipping the paint around the hole bend the wire at the bottom just enough to keep it from sliding off but keep that tag end away from the lure body as if it gets encased in dripping powder paint, it will be tougher to break free and you will know exactly what I mean when you let it happen...use the biggest wire you can feed through the body to keep the hole intact at full diameter

Have you considered using a spring wire and bending it so it takes some force to go in, spring tensions holds it in place, and no wire hangs out the bottom? Do you think maybe the powder coat would seal the hole on the bottom if you did it that way?

I use this mold alot. I use a rag saturated with thread cutting oil. The same oil I use to oil the hinges on my molds. I just wipe it on the pins and stick them in the mold. I pour all of them at the same time and pull the pins with Lyman pliers. The kind they use to tie rebar together. I grab the top of the pin with the mold closed, one twist and pull they come out. Then to paint them I use powder paint. I stick a tooth pic in the two ends heat and dip. To cure I put sand in a shallow dish for my toaster oven and stick the tooth pic in the sand. The tooth pic is black after they have cured. The oil has no affect to the paint Besides its in the hole not on the out side.

Thanks Kelly, I am going to have to try your toothpick method.

I had many stuck to paper clips after curing and the ones it did not run the paper clip through all the way I was able to save, but I had to heat a wire cherry red and burn the bottom end open again. This has so far been my hardest lure to powder paint yet!

Edited by archeryrob

i just started making inline spinners as a hobby.i live and fish in Tahiti and its way out of the mainstream for buying the kind of supplies i need for inline spinner making..i ordered all my stuff in the U.S a month or so ago and received everything this week and yesterday made my first two inline spinners.i also ordered one of the do-it lure body molds and tried it out yesterday and this morning.i unfortunately do not have access to any of the release agents mentioned here.however i recently saw a you-tube video of someone making sinkers with do-it molds and who recommended PAM as a release agent.i tried it this morning but the leads did not turn out well but i think that has more to do with my inexperience than anything else.i did use the bar of soap on the pin and that worked great.candle soot seems to be recommended as well and i think i will try that tomorrow so if anyone has any suggestions of anything i could use it would be appreciated.i am a little afraid of using WD40 as i read somewhere that it could explode. i also do not have any access to vinyl paints or powder paint and i was thinking of trying some nail polish.there is a store locally that carries a whole bunch of colors.would that be good to use?.

any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.