• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BrownPigs

BrownPigs

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

What is the best brand of metallic paint (both silver and gold)? I want to use it as my base coat then paint scales and all the fun stuff over that.

#2 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

What is the best brand of metallic paint (both silver and gold)? I want to use it as my base coat then paint scales and all the fun stuff over that.

I've had the best luck with rattle can metalics. They seem to be shinier than water based air brush metalics. But be sure you dry them completely before you scale over them. Trapped solvent can make them soft, and the scale material will stick to them, and peel the metalic paint off when you take the scale material off. I let them dry overnight, and then hit them with a hair dryer before I add the scales.

#3 BrownPigs

BrownPigs

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

I've had the best luck with rattle can metalics. They seem to be shinier than water based air brush metalics. But be sure you dry them completely before you scale over them. Trapped solvent can make them soft, and the scale material will stick to them, and peel the metalic paint off when you take the scale material off. I let them dry overnight, and then hit them with a hair dryer before I add the scales.

Thanks for the help

#4 Firechief

Firechief

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the help

The problem I faced with rattle can paints is that the shine dulls after I clear coat with D2T. Maybe I am doing something wrong again.
I use foil to get that metal look

#5 BrownPigs

BrownPigs

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

The problem I faced with rattle can paints is that the shine dulls after I clear coat with D2T. Maybe I am doing something wrong again.
I use foil to get that metal look

I didn't had that happen with one brand of rattle can metalic paint but non another one I tried. Etex has worked well on whatever I have tried.

What do you do to get a gold metal look when foiling baits?