J's Muskie Customs

Painting Spinner Blades

I've used epoxy and moisture cured urethane (Dick Nite topcoat) on spinner blades. The epoxy works but cures to a very thin coat on any sharp edge, so is more prone to chip off during use. It also can make the blade considerably heavier. Maybe that's not a consideration on big musky baits but it is on bass spinnerbaits. The urethane was designed for dipping spoons and forms a very durable, thin coating that has superior clarity. Of course, I don't know if Dick Nite is selling his moisture cured urethane now, or whether it is cost effective to buy a rather expensive clearcoat which you may not use for other building tasks. But to my mind, Dick Nite is perfect for this particular application.

I'm with JSC, like the powder coating program over standard liquid paints for metallic lure parts. I've done both over the years, use the powder almost exclusively now. Powder water allows adding great details with an airbrush, and there's a ton of cool holographic and shift powders available.

Edited by spoonbender

Never used the powder before where do u get it and what brand

Goggle "TJs" Has the "Stuff" U need and also Videos on how to do it ... make sure U check out the Videos.

Several other places have it .. but TJs has the good videos on how to do it.

Hope that helps

JSC

Edited by JSC

here is some i shot, i think they turned out good....what i am looking for is something i can attached to my drying wheel to get these guys coated and spin them so it doesnt build up on the lips and such on the blades.

please see the picture for the blades i am using..if anyone has any ideas on turning them on the wheel please let me know.

i have attached two pictures so you guys can see what i am dealing with, most are fluted blades so i think i really need to keep them moving.

devcon 2t

envirotex

cristal pc

i have all three and am going to try all 3.

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

post-25392-0-24456400-1295966167_thumb.jpg

post-25392-0-78547500-1295966177_thumb.jpg

Another reason to like Dick Nite original moisture cured urethane is you just dip it and hang it. No rotating, no spraying an auto clear. Any excess drips right off the end. It takes a few days to cure to final hardness but can be handled after a few hours when the solvent has flashed off. It's designed for dipping Dick Nite metal spoons so it's a custom solution for your task if you do a lot of them. BTW, nice paint jobs!

Edited by BobP

Another reason to like Dick Nite original moisture cured urethane is you just dip it and hang it. No rotating, no spraying an auto clear. Any excess drips right off the end. It takes a few days to cure to final hardness but can be handled after a few hours when the solvent has flashed off. It's designed for dipping Dick Nite metal spoons so it's a custom solution for your task if you do a lot of them. BTW, nice paint jobs!

hey bobp, is dick nite even available anywhere? from what i have been hearing it is hard to get??? these are my first blades my paint has touched...i like painting blades,,it is a fun change from hardbody lures.

thanks!!!

hey bobp, is dick nite even available anywhere? from what i have been hearing it is hard to get??? these are my first blades my paint has touched...i like painting blades,,it is a fun change from hardbody lures.

thanks!!!

i assume i just order it right from him http://www.dicknite.com/s81.htm. is there a super long wait to get it?

i assume i just order it right from him http://www.dicknite.com/s81.htm. is there a super long wait to get it?

Dick gives us a discount on his products and has set up a page just for the people at TU to order from. You have to order from the link below to get the discount though.

BTW..........nice looking bunch of blades you've painted.

http://www.dicknite.com/TU_Lander.htm

Edited by RayburnGuy

Dick gives us a discount on his products and has set up a page just for the people at TU to order from. You have to order from the link below to get the discount though.

BTW..........nice looking bunch of blades you've painted.

http://www.dicknite.com/TU_Lander.htm

awesome!! i just ordered a quart from him. thanks for the info, and thanks on the complements!

awesome!! i just ordered a quart from him. thanks for the info, and thanks on the complements!

If your not familiar with the storage issues of Dick Nite's top coat you will need to read up on how to handle and store it so it doesn't start to cure in the shipping container. Since it is a moisture cure urethane it will start to cure when it is exposed to the moisture in the air. A lot of us use Bloxygen to keep this from happening. Bloxygen is nothing more than Argon gas. Argon is an inert gas that is heavier than air. When sprayed on top of the DN it settles to the surface of the top coat and forms a protective blanket to keep air and moisture from reaching it. If you plan on brushing DN onto your blades you can tap the can that the DN comes in with a sheet metal screw and only draw out however much is needed. If you plan on dipping your blades you will need to use a separate container for dipping. I use a pint mason jar to dip in and leave the rest sealed in the shipping container after spraying Bloxygen into it. This way your not slowly contaminating the whole quart of DN. If you have any questions on storing it just holler and we'll try to help.

Ben

If your not familiar with the storage issues of Dick Nite's top coat you will need to read up on how to handle and store it so it doesn't start to cure in the shipping container. Since it is a moisture cure urethane it will start to cure when it is exposed to the moisture in the air. A lot of us use Bloxygen to keep this from happening. Bloxygen is nothing more than Argon gas. Argon is an inert gas that is heavier than air. When sprayed on top of the DN it settles to the surface of the top coat and forms a protective blanket to keep air and moisture from reaching it. If you plan on brushing DN onto your blades you can tap the can that the DN comes in with a sheet metal screw and only draw out however much is needed. If you plan on dipping your blades you will need to use a separate container for dipping. I use a pint mason jar to dip in and leave the rest sealed in the shipping container after spraying Bloxygen into it. This way your not slowly contaminating the whole quart of DN. If you have any questions on storing it just holler and we'll try to help.

Ben

so can i take my mig welder and shoot the argon/co2 mix on top of it? then put the lid on?

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

Edited by J's Muskie Customs

so can i take my mig welder and shoot the argon/co2 mix on top of it? then put the lid on?

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

I don't see why the argon/co2 mix wouldn't work. There shouldn't be any moisture in it. The only thing I see that might be a problem is shooting it into the container. If you just shoot it into the container without the lid being at least partially on the can I'm not sure how much of the gas mix would actually stay in the container. The Bloxygen that I use has a slender plastic tube that you stick into the spray nozzle. This allows you to put the lid on and leave it open just enough to get the spray tube in. If you can figure out some way of doing it so it's actually displacing the air in the can it should work. Notice I said "SHOULD". I don't want to be given an oilfield cussin' if anything goes wrong.

I don't see why the argon/co2 mix wouldn't work. There shouldn't be any moisture in it. The only thing I see that might be a problem is shooting it into the container. If you just shoot it into the container without the lid being at least partially on the can I'm not sure how much of the gas mix would actually stay in the container. The Bloxygen that I use has a slender plastic tube that you stick into the spray nozzle. This allows you to put the lid on and leave it open just enough to get the spray tube in. If you can figure out some way of doing it so it's actually displacing the air in the can it should work. Notice I said "SHOULD". I don't want to be given an oilfield cussin' if anything goes wrong.

i see! like this...http://www.amazon.com/Highland-Bloxygen/dp/B0002088O8

Edited by J's Muskie Customs