• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 J's Muskie Customs

J's Muskie Customs

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

If your not familiar with the storage issues of Dick Nite's top coat you will need to read up on how to handle and store it so it doesn't start to cure in the shipping container. Since it is a moisture cure urethane it will start to cure when it is exposed to the moisture in the air. A lot of us use Bloxygen to keep this from happening. Bloxygen is nothing more than Argon gas. Argon is an inert gas that is heavier than air. When sprayed on top of the DN it settles to the surface of the top coat and forms a protective blanket to keep air and moisture from reaching it. If you plan on brushing DN onto your blades you can tap the can that the DN comes in with a sheet metal screw and only draw out however much is needed. If you plan on dipping your blades you will need to use a separate container for dipping. I use a pint mason jar to dip in and leave the rest sealed in the shipping container after spraying Bloxygen into it. This way your not slowly contaminating the whole quart of DN. If you have any questions on storing it just holler and we'll try to help.

Ben

so can i take my mig welder and shoot the argon/co2 mix on top of it? then put the lid on?

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

Edited by J's Muskie Customs, 26 January 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#22 RayburnGuy

RayburnGuy

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

so can i take my mig welder and shoot the argon/co2 mix on top of it? then put the lid on?

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!!! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

I don't see why the argon/co2 mix wouldn't work. There shouldn't be any moisture in it. The only thing I see that might be a problem is shooting it into the container. If you just shoot it into the container without the lid being at least partially on the can I'm not sure how much of the gas mix would actually stay in the container. The Bloxygen that I use has a slender plastic tube that you stick into the spray nozzle. This allows you to put the lid on and leave it open just enough to get the spray tube in. If you can figure out some way of doing it so it's actually displacing the air in the can it should work. Notice I said "SHOULD". I don't want to be given an oilfield cussin' if anything goes wrong.

#23 J's Muskie Customs

J's Muskie Customs

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

I don't see why the argon/co2 mix wouldn't work. There shouldn't be any moisture in it. The only thing I see that might be a problem is shooting it into the container. If you just shoot it into the container without the lid being at least partially on the can I'm not sure how much of the gas mix would actually stay in the container. The Bloxygen that I use has a slender plastic tube that you stick into the spray nozzle. This allows you to put the lid on and leave it open just enough to get the spray tube in. If you can figure out some way of doing it so it's actually displacing the air in the can it should work. Notice I said "SHOULD". I don't want to be given an oilfield cussin' if anything goes wrong.

i see! like this...http://www.amazon.com/Highland-Bloxygen/dp/B0002088O8

Edited by J's Muskie Customs, 26 January 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#24 J's Muskie Customs

J's Muskie Customs

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

so cristal pc......not a good idea...melted the paint off some of my spoons...stuff is volitle junk!!

#25 J's Muskie Customs

J's Muskie Customs

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

I just painted some and dipped the finish product in the old Dick Nite formula. Turned out perfect. Might want to consider Glisten PC for this application. It was made to go over metal products.

glisten pc=horrible miserable fail......

#26 BobP

BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

i see! like this...http://www.amazon.com/Highland-Bloxygen/dp/B0002088O8

Yep, that's the stuff. And that's the best price I've seen it sell for.