pondfisherman

Pond Fishing

I can only assume you are talking about bass fishing so pretty much anything that you would use on a large lake. Spinnerbaits, plastic worms, top water lures, etc. Just because a bass lives in a small body of water doesn't make him a different creature than a bass that lives in a large lake. A bass is an opportunistic feeder. Meaning he will eat pretty much anything that he can catch and swallow.

I started out pond fishing many years ago with nothing more than an Abu-Reflex and some plastic worms. Back then all we had were the worms made by .........Creme. Mostly Black.

Sure did catch my share of bass. Those were fun days. Walk around the edges,cast and catch some fish. No worries. Great times!

If I went today, I`d do the same thing....almost. Still have a sack of plastic worms. except lots of different colors. A spinner bait or two. A Buzz bait also. Maybe a couple of other

baits,maybe.

Pond fishing on a nice,warm summer day is the greatest. Great memories!!

You can use almost all of the bass baits on the market. My favorite are soft plastics though. A 7"-8" ribbon tail worm, Texas rigged, frogs on top, tubes. early in the years I use red spinnerbaits, or just fish my crappie ponds until I start seeing bass swim over the spawn beds looking for a meal.

George

I've bass fished for 30 yrs and my biggest 2 bass (8+ and 10+ lbs) came from private ponds. So don't be thinking small water = small bass. No doubt the gold standard bait for small ponds is a T-rigged plastic worm. Ribbon tail 6" or a straight tail worm like a Zoom Trick Worm work well. They are weedless and easy to cast without hanging up in the nearest tree (and if you do, it's not a $15 Japanese jerkbait hanging up there just out of reach!). Whatever color you have confidence in - mine are watermelon, green pumpkin, and june bug, depending on water clarity. But anything that will work in big water will work on a small pond.

what are some really good baits for pondfishing besides livebait

You have already gotten some good tips, especially if you are the only one, or about the only one fishing on the pond in the last 4-5 years. If the pond has heavy public or private pressure, you can bet the pond's fish have seen everything at Wal-Mart, local drug stores, and big box stores around your area, so cast them something different. Search this site and make or buy something different, go fish your pond at daybreak and sundown and you'll probably catch what others haven't.

Good luck.

John

i must say that pond fishing is NOT like lake or canal fishing. a crackbait will barely ever work in a pond. the fish will be more skiddish and it is best to stick to your classic ribbontail, q-tail, and recently ive foung dropshot senkos on spot remover hooks. a spinnerbait will work well also. stay away from noisy loud baits though.