• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 benjiwhite

benjiwhite

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

I tie deerhair to 1/0-5/0 saltwater hooks with a leadhead to make bucktail jigs. My question is this...What is the best thread to use for this? With so many to choose from I am kinda lost. I have purchased some danville thread from ebay a couple of years ago and all it says on the spool is danville monocord. This seems to work really well. I also tried kevlar and it's pretty tough but cuts into the hair if you're not real careful. Any help is appreciated!
Benji

#2 bassrecord

bassrecord

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

I tie deerhair to 1/0-5/0 saltwater hooks with a leadhead to make bucktail jigs. My question is this...What is the best thread to use for this? With so many to choose from I am kinda lost. I have purchased some danville thread from ebay a couple of years ago and all it says on the spool is danville monocord. This seems to work really well. I also tried kevlar and it's pretty tough but cuts into the hair if you're not real careful. Any help is appreciated!
Benji

Yep thread cuts deerhair rather easily. Work around = soft loop tying technique and flat tying thread. The soft loop technique is to wrap a coat of thread on the hook shank, hold deer hair in place, wrap 3-4 wraps softly, then wrap 4-5 wraps tighter then wrap 4-5 wraps very tightly, then whip finish. Danville and UTC make a flat 3/0 thread that should work.

Good luck!
John

#3 benjiwhite

benjiwhite

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Yep thread cuts deerhair rather easily. Work around = soft loop tying technique and flat tying thread. The soft loop technique is to wrap a coat of thread on the hook shank, hold deer hair in place, wrap 3-4 wraps softly, then wrap 4-5 wraps tighter then wrap 4-5 wraps very tightly, then whip finish. Danville and UTC make a flat 3/0 thread that should work.

Good luck!
John

Thanks John for the reply..every little bit helps