Crymdawg

Drop Shot Weights: Powder Painting & Curing

Hi Gang, Just got a Do-It ball type Drop shot mold and made a quick 100 units last night. I'd like to Power Paint then in basic colors for weight recognition and to cut down on Lead Oxidation. Since the mold used the Line Grip type of swivels I'm looking for suggestions on how to put them in my toaster oven for curing after application. The only solution I can think of is to suspend the weights from a fine wire that would hang down from my rack. I use a Hot Air gun to heat my items prior to coating in the Fluid bed. My Oven has a rack that slides out and has bars that run front to back like a household oven rack.

Maybe some wire mesh or chicken wire, were u can just snip off some of the squares an lay it on the top rack of your toaster.

I think someone might have a better description or a pic or something.

I think Vodkaman did something like this once.B)

Maybe what I'll do is post a picture of my oven so others have an idea what I'm talking about.

I don't think it was me, but my memory is fading.

This question does come up once or twice a year. Here is a link to a thread last November: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/20812-baking-jig-heads/page__p__155286__hl__rack__fromsearch__1#entry155286

The pics will help and maybe it is time to brainstorm this problem again.

Dave

The fastest way to do this is like this in my opinion.

#1 Take a pair of pliers and grab the weight by the metal line tie.

#2 Heat jig.

#3 Dip in powder paint

#4 Drop them immediately in a container of water. The reason for this is. The line tie is so small

that you will not be able to grab the weight with your fingers as the weight will be very hot. So dropping them in

water will cool them and then you can take them out and dry them off later

#5 Finish all your weights. When you're done take your weights out of the water and dry them off.

#6 Take some X-mas ornament hangers and thread them through the line tie.

#7 Hook them on a rack, put them in the oven and bake.

#8 Take out of oven, let cool

if the christmas ornament hangers are too long you can cut them down and bend into "s" shape about an inch long and that should allow you to suspend them from the rack above the element

Believe it or not you don't even have to cut them. The wire is so flexible, that you can bend them at least 100 times and the wire will not break. So if you bend them short for your application, you can straighten them out and use them next time for a longer application. Just some useful info hopefully.

Believe it or not you don't even have to cut them. The wire is so flexible, that you can bend them at least 100 times and the wire will not break. So if you bend them short for your application, you can straighten them out and use them next time for a longer application. Just some useful info hopefully.

Thanks Ted, What I've done so far is go re-use the pieces of wire that I use to dip my spinner bait blades that I put the Powder Paint on.

My only concern is that the powder gets up into where the swivel is and if it sets and cures there the swivel is worthless. I've also found that some of the swivels that I get from Do-It are not spinning prior to putting them into the mold.

Has any body also had this type of problem ?? I'm wondering about the ROSCO swivels but don't think I need 12 gross.

Well I've done a bunch of the weights since I initially posted my question. Now I'm wondering if I'm just throwing away my efforts by powder painting the weights. My origional purpose was for oxidation and weight recognition. Now my thought is that I do not want to color the weights in anything other than a dark nuetral color so as to look like a piece of the bottom structure. Don't want the ish interested in the weight when the hook and lure is right there.

So on purely on a fishing application who else powder coats. What color and why?

How about the swivel part not working all the time? When I put the swivel in the mold there's the circular piece of wire and then a knurled collar and then the part that the line gets pinched by. Am I possibly putting the swivel too far into the mold area ?   

I powder coat alot of drop shot weights and I hang them with wire.  I buy rolls of wire from walmart.  I think it is .022 wire and you get 20' for $2.  It is in the craft section.  Cut the length of wire that you want and you can bend 10 at a time.  Cheap and easy.

I paint the weights to use on the Jica Rigs.  Much cheaper to use the drop shot weights then to buy the commercial ones.

The swivels don't work half the time so I don't worry about it.

Actually Mark you have contributed more than I ever have so thank you.  Check out the Jika Rig.  When it first came out I thought it was stupid but now I use it alot.  There are baits that I love but they cause a great deal of line twist when I texas rig them but the Jika rig has solved that problem and the painted drop shot weights work great for the rig.  Here are a couple of vids 

Edited by bass100