21 replies to this topic

#21 BigZ

BigZ

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:55 PM

I only like to use salt in baits that need to sink,s?nkos , craws, etc. For regular worms and even s?nkos I won't run any salt if I am gonna use them for carolina rigging or dropshots because I want them to have more buoyancy and a slower fall. I don't know if salt is proven to make them hold the bait longer than normal, but that would be a difficult hypothesis to prove or disprove without years of field study. Theoretically, if the salt is going into solution in the water, wouldn't the bass be like a shark following a chum slick in the water?

As for salt on the outside, I have to agree with Seminole Fan that it is a great alternative to worm oil to keep packaged baits from sticking together. You have to think of where that oil actually goes once it hits the water. Do you think it just disappears?

#22 alsworms

alsworms

Advanced Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:24 PM

I have rolled worms in salt while they are still warm, and I know that some of the salt will actually adhere to the plastic. I have made several casts and still have seen salt crystals on and slightly in the bait. There sure isn't enough to make the bait sink, but I believe the salt release helps trigger strikes. Again, it all depends on your personal preference, or what makes you feel confident.
Chris