black haze

Trokar Jig Hooks And Molds?

Im kind of confused....Does the trokar jig hook fit in a do it mold without modifying the mold??? I think i have read two different opinions on this.....And if you have to modify how hard is this for a amatuer???? and once you modify the mold will it still except other hooks?? sorry for all the questions, im just trying to learn here....Thank you

black haze,

I'm going to give you my personal opinion on this so take it for what it's worth. As far as the use of Trokar hooks, for one I don't use them as I don't think they are worth the money. Mustad and the new Eagle Claw needle point hooks by far are as good as you will get for a quality hook at a reasonable price. Many people I have dealt with tell me that between Gamis and Trokars, it is very easy to roll the points on those very quickly, making the hooks pretty much useless, unless you sharpen them again, and then you won't get the same point. Now I will tell you that there are very few Gamis that fit Do-It molds without modifcation. Do-It has worked hand in hand mainly with Eagle Claw and Mustad, and if you look at all the Do-It molds majority of them design their molds around those two hook maunfacturers.

So now comes the million dollar question. Can you modify a mold yourself. This all depends on how much work is involved, how handy you are and how accurate you want everything to look. I can do a lot of the work myself, however I choose not to because I sell my jigs to people, and I want the outcome of the modified jig to look professional. Unless you have machining skills and have the correct equipment, I find it very difficult to get good clean exact work with a file, drill press and a dremel. This however is a personal choice. If you want to enlarge an eyelet, you may be able to do it with a drill press. If you want to carve out a cavity, no matter how good you are, using a dremel will never be exact like using a milling machine.Finally if you plan on modifying a mold yourself, take your time, lay it out, and measure twice. If you make a mistake it is pretty hard to correct the problem. Just my two cents worth.

Black Haze, go to Barlows tackle and check out the Trokar Jig hooks, there is one that can be used in a few do-it molds and the other one won't work without modification. One is the Trokar TK 800 and the other is the TK 805 I believe, the difference is the 800 has a flat eye, these will not fit in do it molds that take flat eye hooks, the 805 is the 60 degree that is similar to the Mustad 32786 and that will work. I agree with Cadman about hook choices, I have Gamakatsu and Owner hooks that fit a few jig molds I have but I only use them for customers that simply won't even try another hook but I fooled a lot of people with free jigs I gave them by telling them it was a new Gammy or Owner and they raved at how good it was and most couldn't believe it when I showed them they we actually using an Eagle claw hook. They have the new needle points coming out and Mustad has always been a good hook, I have set the hook and actually landed small logs and tree limbs with jigs using mustad ultra point hooks and the point remained in tact and still sharp, I have also done the same thing with Gammy hooks and while it was super sharp, hooking a tree limb absolutely ruins the point and unless you rehone the hook it is pretty much useless. Same thing with spinnerbait hooks, the cutting point on an owner hook actually makes to big of a tear in the fishes mouth and the hook simply falls out a lot, I never had that problem with Mustads and when it comes to spinnerbait hooks, I really like the VMC 7250 Black nickel, they penetrate really well and hold a point.

Man you guys are good, i very much appreciate your help. Being a newbie i cant thank you enough. Great info

No problem Black haze, a lot of us actually have been doing this for a long time before there was a Tackle Underground web site and a lot was learned through trial and error. This site has benefitted all of us and even the ones who have been making tackle for a long time have learned a lot of things. I'm just happy that we could be of help to you and when you have a question or need help don't hesitate to ask, good luck.

No problem Black haze, a lot of us actually have been doing this for a long time before there was a Tackle Underground web site and a lot was learned through trial and error. This site has benefitted all of us and even the ones who have been making tackle for a long time have learned a lot of things. I'm just happy that we could be of help to you and when you have a question or need help don't hesitate to ask, good luck.

x2

Black Haze, go to Barlows tackle and check out the Trokar Jig hooks, there is one that can be used in a few do-it molds and the other one won't work without modification. One is the Trokar TK 800 and the other is the TK 805 I believe, the difference is the 800 has a flat eye, these will not fit in do it molds that take flat eye hooks, the 805 is the 60 degree that is similar to the Mustad 32786 and that will work. I agree with Cadman about hook choices, I have Gamakatsu and Owner hooks that fit a few jig molds I have but I only use them for customers that simply won't even try another hook but I fooled a lot of people with free jigs I gave them by telling them it was a new Gammy or Owner and they raved at how good it was and most couldn't believe it when I showed them they we actually using an Eagle claw hook. They have the new needle points coming out and Mustad has always been a good hook, I have set the hook and actually landed small logs and tree limbs with jigs using mustad ultra point hooks and the point remained in tact and still sharp, I have also done the same thing with Gammy hooks and while it was super sharp, hooking a tree limb absolutely ruins the point and unless you rehone the hook it is pretty much useless. Same thing with spinnerbait hooks, the cutting point on an owner hook actually makes to big of a tear in the fishes mouth and the hook simply falls out a lot, I never had that problem with Mustads and when it comes to spinnerbait hooks, I really like the VMC 7250 Black nickel, they penetrate really well and hold a point.

A-man smalljaw. As far as I am concerned, the black Nickle VMC is the only spinnerbait hook out there. I use it for all my spinnerbaits.

John