Tracy G

What Better Time To Work On Cranks?

I work the night shift so the night before I go back to work, I stay up till the wee hours of the morning sanding, carving, cruising TU, etc. Tonight, everyone is asleep and I am about to fire up the airbrush. This is my most productive time (except when I am at work, waiting on a machine to break so I can fix it. I know I know boo hoo hoo. lol).

What is your most productive times?

I hope that I got this in the right place but if not... please accept my apologies.

Winter does make sense, less fishing and more building in anticipation. I'm still learning so I can never wait to get the next one started. I'm not able to fish as much as I would like to this summer due to medical issues with family members (in-laws). But building keeps me out there in mind.

i usually come home and work some in the afternoons when i can for a few hours - it just helps me unwind and de-stress from work that day

.........you're lucky to sit in your man cave AFTER the job , ...I'm forced to do it before , which can also be stressfull , if I plan to accomplish certain tasks on my lures ,.......... f.e. like topcoating , glueing in screweyes .

I like to do the working operations on ALL lures of an actual bunch , sometimes I'm tight with time not to get to work too late :pissed: !

greetz , diemai :yay:

.........you're lucky to sit in your man cave AFTER the job , ...I'm forced to do it before , which can also be stressfull , if I plan to accomplish certain tasks on my lures ,.......... f.e. like topcoating , glueing in screweyes .

I like to do the working operations on ALL lures of an actual bunch , sometimes I'm tight with time not to get to work too late :pissed: !

wel i am also single and live with just my dog for a room mate so i dont have a "honey do" list or other obligations either and im def not a morning person. The biggest thing is it relaxes me and lets me be creatinve and unwind. I get as much or more benifit and satisfaction from that part of it as i do catching fish on my lures or selling them.

I try to find time after work. My day starts at 5:45am, then commute for 1.5 hrs, work for 8 and then return commute is sometimes 2 hrs. So unwinding in the shop is a welcome change, but if my wife wants me to do something then there's that as well. Let's not forget she works too, but she's cool with me disappearing so to speak.

Jerry

I try to find time after work. My day starts at 5:45am, then commute for 1.5 hrs, work for 8 and then return commute is sometimes 2 hrs. So unwinding in the shop is a welcome change, but if my wife wants me to do something then there's that as well. Let's not forget she works too, but she's cool with me disappearing so to speak.

Jerry

My missus prefers me making woodchips down the workshop rather than gurgling down a few beers in local bars like I used to in younger years , ......no complaints on that side now , ......and often she catches fish with the stuff I make , anyway .

Edited by diemai

I work on my lures during the afternoon / evening and on the weekends sometimes. It all depends on what the fire department is doing and what the wife makes me do. If I aint going to a fire or mopping the floor then I am free to work as I dang well please. Of course the grandchildren have to have my attention so other than that I have plenty of time to work unless I am needed for some event at the church. Other than these things I have plenty of time between the hours of 1 and 5 am.

I have been retired for a while now and don't have any "off" time. Retirement was meant for me. I fish three days a week and work on the honey do list some and "tinker" the rest of the time. But I still don't have the patience to make a swim bait and work out all the bugs. I appreciate all the work you guys do on such wonderful master pieces as you produce. "The main thing I miss about work is "quitting time on Fri. evening." Musky Glenn

I use to play with a few lures after work, sometimes on the weekends. Lately I've been really enjoying making different swim baits. Since I got hooked on those I've been in the shop working on them almost every night. Here's a few of the new ones.

imag1201l.jpg

• Like 1

I use to play with a few lures after work, sometimes on the weekends. Lately I've been really enjoying making different swim baits. Since I got hooked on those I've been in the shop working on them almost every night. Here's a few of the new ones.

imag1201l.jpg

I haven't attempted any swim baits yet (still a bit intimidated by them). Those look nice.

I'm retired and live alone. Some folks say I'm a contrary cuss so that might be why I can't find a woman tough enough to last more than a week or two, but that means I can work on lures any dang time I want to. Even being an iron a$$ like me has it's perks. :yes:

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

I go out to the garage whenever I get a free hour, and it's not too cold. Or, if I get a bug to build something, I steal some time.

Having PVC to work with makes lure building so much faster and easier.

What do you consider "too cold"?? Don't you live in southern Cal...lol

If it's cold, '50s or lower, I hide inside.

I will fish cold weather, but I won't stand in an unheated garage and work in it if I don't have to.

My body doesn't do cold like it used to.

We actually only had two "cold" stretches this winter, each lasting less than a week. Strange weather.

I'm retired so can build anytime. Unlimited time is both a boon and a curse. After 12 years of building, my stock of finished lures is tightly packed into a growing stack of 3700 boxes - and that doesn't count crankbaits I take fishing or the many I give away to friends and relatives. Nowadays, I only build to satisfy a request or try something new - so I'm constantly searching for inspiration. Sort of frustrating, really, since I do enjoy building them. It's a case of "Be careful what you wish for!".

I work a 4 day work week. Nearly nothing gets done Mon-Thurs; but on Fridays while the wife is away!!!! Although I have been building for over a year now, just recently have I made some break throughs. I was living in a Brookyln apt, working and going to school full time. Sometimes it took me several weeks to finish a lure.

Now I have been cranking out lures much faster, so the learnng is also happening much faster. Now I have my private space in our new house that allows me to build a propper workshop. This weekend I plan on converting an old dresser and cabinet into a turner and dryer for my baits. Also, I have a small pond less than a mile from my house. If a lure passes a bathtub test, I can run to the pond and try it there. While in Brooklyn I fished only a handful times a year. I have a box of lures that swam great in the tub, but failed in the real deal.

When I startedthis I thought to myself, I will never buy another lure again, last week I walked out of Dicks Sporting Goods with 14 new Rapalas (didn't tell the wife about that one). But getting the batch for under $50 was nearly a steal as far as I am concerned.