Pop

Pompano Jigs

The hook sizes used in the egghead and tube (TC model) molds are the same. The problem is that hook size increases with jig weight. I'm wondering if you couldn't "slot" an egg sinker down to its "through hole" with a hack saw and then epoxy a smaller jig hook into the slot? That way you can mix and match hooks and jig weights. I guess you would have to rough up the hook with a file to make the epoxy hold it well. The next problem is that an egg sinker has nothing to which a bucktail can be tied. I think you could make a small wooden collar and epoxy it on behind the egg sinker. This calls for some delicate drilling and sawing. The last problem is that you can't powder paint over epoxy because it gives off bad fumes when heated. I checked out several pictures of pompano jigs. They are using 2-3 types of heads and what appears to be 1, 1/0, 2/0 hooks. They all have one thing in common: bucktail is trimmed back to the bend in the hook. Maybe that is what makes them look small. I made my first 24 eggheads last night and will paint and tie them tonight.

Well, after reading about Bondo being a good mold making material, and some tinkering with some Mustad #1 fly hooks and a paper clip, I made a prototype pompano jig. This is only a prototype; when I get my Eagle Claw 635 hooks, I'll make another mold. The next mold will be a little smoother, and mold a collar to tie the nylon skirt to.

Here are some pics for your perusal :D

Pompano-Jig-2.jpg

Pompano-Jig-1.jpg

Pop,

In the Tampa area the Pompano jig of choice is called "Doc's Jig" when I get home I'll take a pic of one and then one I have tied some marabou on the tail end. I think I also have a pic of a Doc's jig with a teaser attached and I'll post if I can find it.

This jig I think is one of the standard Do-it molds and I'll see if I can find that also.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Just got back from Florida and looked at the Doc's jigs. I see how they are made but I must say, just about the worst paint job I have seen in a long time. I see where they would catch a number of species. Going to make some before I go down the next time. Thanks. Pop

Pop,

Yes the paint is terrible.. did you catch any pompano while you were there? I've seen scattered reports of pompano being caught at the skyway and some of beaches up and down from Tampa.

I just tied up a sandflea imitation and looking forward to giving it a try while I'm down in June. If you get down earlier let me know.. I'll send you a couple.

Rick