3 replies to this topic

#1 smalljaw

smalljaw

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Hey guys, I post in the wire baits section mostly but I have developed a problem I never encountered before. I've been pouring spinnerbait heads and jig heads for a long time and for quite a few years I would make jigs and in the winter I would tie bucktails and make rabbit hair jigs as well, I never had a problem with the thread until today, it seperated, I use ultra thread 210, and never saw anything like this. It only happened for a bit, I was able to just make a few more wraps and it went back but I'd like to know if anyone had this happen or does anyone know what caused it to happen, thanks.

#2 bassrecord

bassrecord

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

Sometimes my UTC and Danvile threads will behave as you describe. In the past when looking closely my guess was either a manufacturing defect or burrs in the bobbin. Since I went to ceramic bobbins the problem occurs about 80% less often. Since I get my threads from many different sources, and rayon deteriorates in the air and sun, maybe the 20% of my current breakages are due to my suppliers. Maybe I should buy by the gross (12 wrapped airtight boxes) from one trusted vendor<lol>. Maybe I should sand out my bobbin?

Sorry I could not help you. Good luck and post if you find out what is causing your problem.

Go fish and good luck!

#3 Charlie2

Charlie2

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

I make heavy saltwater flies and jigs, but it would work for others.

I use braid fishing line. A 20# test only has the diameter of 4 lb test mono. I've never had one break.

Also; the advice on checking your bobbin is good. It can cause many mysterious thread breakages.

I use used fishing line. Just wash it to remove any impurities. JMHO C2

#4 smalljaw

smalljaw

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

Thanks guys, I have a ceramic bobbin and never had it happen before which is why I thought it was strange, anyway I may just run some cotton around the bobbin to see if there may be a small burr that is causing this to happen.