Piscivorous Pike

Leader To Braid Connections, Best Knot

As a hobby I collect fishing knots, and you may remember invented one that saw two episodes of Knot Wars and one issue of In-Fisherman.

After three years wrestling another knot problem I have come up with a useful solution to attaching mono nylon (aka: monofilament) and mono flourocarbon leaders to braid. I did not invent a new knot this time but combined three old standards that solve a connection problem. When a leader clicks through the guides it is annoying and will eventually fail due to wear and fracturing of the leader.

I now know of only two methods to directly connect the mono leader, regardless of the material to braid in a way that the hard mono does not either click when it contacts the guide on the way in or way out, and sometimes both.

To get a smooth pass through the guides the mono leader cannot have any bends or knots that contact a rod guide. The best method is very labor and money intensive. So much so that it may be impracticle however I have used it and it works very well. A top shot wind-on leader uses a loop-to-loop connection like a fly leader, by burying the mono leader inside a length of hollow braid which has a loop on one end and the mono entering the hollow core on the other. With the wind-on the hollow braid is attached to the mono where it enters the hollow core by the use of a serving. Putting tension on the line causes the hollow braid to shrink down like those straw woven "Chinese Handcuffs" you played with as a kid.

So here is my latest "invention". I use flourocarbon leaders on braid because they improve hook ups as fish cannot see the leader and it is bite-off resistant, (I fish pike).

The leader must pass through the guides without touching the guides. The Albright knot is the core of this technique.

You should use a double line but heavy test braid can be used single strand. For double strand tie a loop about 8" long (16" of line). I have a quick way to tie a Bimini twist loop but a Sugeon's knot (3 to 5 overhand passes on a overhand knot) or a Spider Hitch will work too.

Make a loop in main braid line and use the double line as one.

1. Lay the loop so that the tag end of the mono nylon or mono fluorocarbon lies at the loop knot juncture.
  2. On the leader at the point below where the tag will leave the Albright knot wraps, wrap down about 6 wraps (20# line)and up over crossing the down wraps, 6 up.
  3. Bend the leader tag over forming the Albright loop, leaving the main line positioned to exit the loop, wrap across both legs of the loop about 10 to 15 wraps (20-30 line).
  4. Pull the Albright knot down, the tag exits parallel to the main line, through the same side of the loop; close the wraps below the loop & butt them against the Albright wraps, pull the Albright loop so it buries itself under the wraps.
  5. Above the Albright on the main line take the double line tag end and make a Uni knot , start above and wrap 6 turns across the main line down to the top of the loop. The tag exits the Uni loop just above the top of the Albright, pull it down tight. Now there is a braid bumper above and below the Albright knot and the leader loop is totally enclosed in soft braid.
  6. Tack with super glue.

Upon researching my library afater I posted I found the root history of this idea seems to be:

mono leader to braid :

The Tony Pefia Knot (- Lemire Modified - Kramer Modified)

I would like to call it the

BUMPERED ALBRIGHT KNOT

Google the key words: The Tony Pefia Knot - Lemire Modified , and you can find articles on its roots too!