Darkman

Chatter Baits...what Mold Is Best

since my favorit chatterbait is no longer being made, i want to start making my own. I know you can use most and jig head design but would like to know every ones opinion here...and help would greatly help...also if you have any tips in making them that would be great also...thank you very much

Darkie

Flat eye arkie jig is close to the original and you only need one split ring. I have used and liked the Snootie jig using 2 split rings, it came through grass like gang busters and with the double split ring it had a ton of movement but it is tough to put together with the 2 split rings. Lately I've been making them with my spinnerbait mold, I just cast the head with a straight pieve of wire instead of making a wire form, when the head is finished I put the blade on the wire and then bend it in a circle and make a single wrap and it works great! But if you prefer the more traditonal style I would say your best bet is a flat eye arkie jig.

I use the 2nd technique that Smalljaw describes above, using the Poison tail jighead. You'll need to modify the mold to accomodate the wire, but it's pretty easy with a drill press and a handscrew. Just go slow and check the travel of the bit often. I cut the wire to leave a 5/8" length exposed, then bend it with a pair of wire bending pliers, the kind with a round side and a concave side. Bending 0.051 wire is no problem with these.

Hope this helps,

Dave