barrysbaits

Removing Powder Paint

Hey guys. I just read that the most effective solvent for removing cured powder is benzyl alcohol. If I remember right from chemistry,This is the kind of alcohol we drink. If thats correct we can'nt run down to Lowes and pick up a quart. I also thought that denatured alcohol was benzyl alcohol with a posion added so it could not be drank.Anyone with a chemistry backround got any insight on this.Im going to soak some jigs in a can of beer for six months that ought a git er. lol;-)

Barry,

As far as beer or your favorite bourbon or 151 Rum, this alcohol is grain alcohol, and I do not believe it will take off the paint off of your painted jigs. The reason I said I'm not sure, because I've never tried it. Someone posted here awhile ago, that denatured alcohol does work, again I can't comment on that since I have never tried that either. I have used a liquid paint stripper, and that does work.

Barry,

Here is a helpful read from some members trials (click link below). I was told that the paint stripper that I use "Parks" from Lowes or Home Depot is unavailable now. I have a gallon of it, so I am sure another strong paint stripper (remover) should work just as good. The one I had took about an hour for unbaked painted jig and 2-3 hours on baked painted jigs. If you have 20 or 30 jigs, put them in a glass bowl cover them with stripper and leave overnight. In the morning the paint will be gone. Then just take your raw jigs and clean them with soap and water and let dry thoroughly. http://www.tackleund...paint +stripper

Barry if you can delete and post your vinyl paint pic in the for sale section please do, otherwise they will delete your post. All pics of baits and anything for sale or trade must be posted in the correct forums.

Edited by cadman

I just stripped some jig heads yesterday. I used Jasco brand Premium Paint and Epoxy Stripper (gold can with a red label). It took several minutes to soften the paint, then I finished up with a small wire brush and rinsed off the loose paint flecks.

The best paint stripper I've ever used is "aircraft stripper" and several manufacturers sell it. You may be able to buy it from an auto parts store, I think that's where I got mine. Its a spray can and seems to work the fastest.

These paint stripper contain methylene chloride (which is the solvent that softens the paint) as well as fillers to make it stick to the surface and not evaporate too fast. In its chemistry-grade pure state, its a thin liquid like acetone. The solvent however evaporate away from the fillers. So ideally you leave it on the surface long enough for the methylene chloride to soften the paint, but not so long that it all evaporates away. I.E. its possible to leave it on there too long. Non-spray strippers can be left for a long time since they can be applied so thick (like CADman said about leaving it overnight).

Some epoxy paints do not soften up very much, and need to be peeled or scraped away. Pro-tec and other urethane or polyester (?) paints seem to come off in minutes.

Don't give up on it! The right chemicals will work well.

P.S. try not to get too much on your hands, the methylene chloride passes thru your skin very easily and you'll feel a burning or itching sensation. I can't imagine that its good for you!

Methylene Chloride is "was" the industry standard for powder coating removal. I read a report yesterday that said the chemical is cancer causing. I know it's still available and wonder if the cancer causing properties of it should even raise concern for those of us who use it on a hobby level rather than industrial applications.