DJR

Powder Paint?

I built a fluid bed based on Cadman's instructions for jig heads, and have to purchase some powder paint. How much powder paint is used in a 3" diameter cup? Any brand of powder paint easier than another? Also, does anyone know of a source for unpainted lead free jig heads in smaller sizes (e.g., 1/64 oz.) that could be powder painted? It seems that most offerings are made from a low melting point bismuth-tin alloy not suitable for powder painting? Thanks.

DJR,

A 3" diameter cup based on my plans holds about 4-6 ounces of powder give or take. As far as brands go, most guys use Pro-Tec (CSI) powder paint however they are very expensive especially if you are going to be using it for a fluid bed. 2 oz of Pro-Tec is about $6 - $7. You can use any brand of powder paint you can find. Some are better than others. Try to stay with an industrial powder as they are known for their quality. I personally use very little Pro-Tec paint again reason being cost. Soooo there are companiess like PPG, Sherwin Williams, Dupont and so on.

As far as the lead-free jigs, anyone that pours them is going to be using bismuth or bismuth tin mix. Unfortunately, bismuth has a lower melting temp than lead. So on the 1/64 oz or smaller, I am going to say you should hand paint, air brush or spray paint with a can, and then clear coat the jig with an epoxy for durability.

Cadman is spot on as always! I have painted stuff for trout and crappie anglers for years but I will not powder paint any thing unless it is lead, or tungstun and I will not powder paint anything less than 1/32oz and even that is pushing it. The reason why is the tiny heads heat up super quick and cool super quick, to heat it enough to take paint is hard as a 1/32oz bait for example goes from hot enough to take paint to the lead melting very quickly. The 1/32oz jig heads I painted went like this, I heated them for 3 seconds and they were close but the paint wasn't uniform all the way around so the next jig I hit it for 4 seconds and it was perfect, a few jigs later I turned my head and actually had the jig under heat for 5 seconds and the head melted off, that is how close it is so I could not imagine anything smaller. For those I would use fingernail polish as those heads don't hit rock hard enough to do a lot of damage anyway.