Drakegunner

Ice Fishing Jig Molds

Hey all, winter is around the corner and being an ice fishing junkie, I thought it would be cool to build some of my own ice jigs for panfish.

I've been looking around and have had trouble finding anything on molding #10 and #12 ice jigs. Anyone have any experience making them.

I would love to find a marmooska style mold, but any ice jig would be cool right now.

Thats a hard one. The only ones I saw with a quick search were guys that had them custom made. If it were me I would take 6-8 of the jigs and some Mold Max 60 silicone and make my own mold.

Anyway... its a thought, not necessarily a good thought, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Tony

There is not to much out there. i made my own out of the some silicone spincasters use, heat vulcanized high temp silicone and a home made mold frame like jewelry makers use with sides.  I dont ice fish but as you decrease size you increase number in catch in panfish and trout.  I make #12 jig heads and #20 vertical ice jigs. you have to have a bottom pour pot, i made my own stainless steel bottom pour pot also.

If you can get some try turner jones micro jigs, he makes a jig called the scampi 1/500 oz killer for catching bait. the regular 1/250 is great on trout.  they are marabou jigs, Turner Jones' Micro Jigs, 417-883-6723. for you jig makers out ther you think you can cast a 1/500 (#16) oz jig n paint in n not get paint in the eye? lol.

scampi is in the middle

a10.jpg

or you can find someone who can cnc, here is one of my body molds i cnc in a class years back

bca.jpg

i dont post pics of my custom made heads anymore.

With silicone you can copy anything that will fit in your frame and if you have ingenuity you can mold your own designs new designs as long as you can make a hard heat resistant master.  il give you one tip if you find a cnc source not familiar with molds ,  circular pocket mill the dowel holes, dont waste your time with drills.

Edited by robbor

One thing I have done recently is making teardrop style icefishing jigs.

You buy the blades and hooks then solder the hook to the blade with a soldering gun. It is very easy to male a bunch up this way and doesn't use a lot of solder Use Rosin core solder then soak in Acetone to remove the excess solder before painting.

One thing I would definetly buy though is this teardrop mold from Reinke brothers. It has a spot for the blade and slots for the hooks. It works great to keep everything aligned when soldering.

http://shop.reinkebro.com/Ice-Blade-Molds-rei041.htm

Nice info. Mr Robbor would you give your silicone source up. Thanks

When i lived in LA, Contenti was the closest, They werent really hobbies friendly, so do your research and bs you way through. They also sell 2 red /2 white discs. red as backing, whit is higher temp for actual mold, a lil cheaper. I used the 12". for my 2 mold frames it made atleast 4 molds for each of the 2 sizes. you can also buy bulk to get square pieces. i believe the pdf gives instructions for vulnanizing. its very forgiving if you dont heat exactly as specd. the silicone does shrink fyi, SOP is to use powder coated masters. I made all my aluminum master molds a few grains heavier if i ever went into production and selling id cast using a spincaster and silicone.

http://www.contenti.com/products/spin-casting/179-509.html

I also used the "mold" from Reinke bro. and it works awesome.I believe it is more of a fixture than a mold but it works, you can also make the free hand or with a pair of forceps to hold the hook.

The best part about making them is the same reason to make any bait you pick how heavy or light the size of hook the angle of the hook .

Me personaly like to use the old tear drop style but use a 90 degree jig hook  it gives it more of a flying action and it is easier to pick up on your flasher!!!

The guys that work there are great they are the ones who got me started in this hobby.Before everyone had a computer you asked the REINKE BROTHERS if a mold or hook would work.

At my last visit to the store he talked me into making my own ice rod and it works better than any high priced store bought rod I have ever had for shallow water hole hoppin. it might be something you would like to check out.

Edited by ROWINGADUBAY