MuskyGary

2013 Do-it Trokar Molds

I see on Barlow's Tackle they have the new Trokar molds for sale. I noticed at the bottom of the page they have a number of different hooks, different brands, that will work in the mold. Im wondering if you have to buy these new molds or if Trokar hooks will fit in the weedless football, weedless round molds we already have? Anyone know? Before I buy a new mold Im going to buy a small pack of Trokar hooks and see how they fit in the molds I already have.

I have no idea if they will work or not, it sounds like you have the right idea, try it first. While Trokars may be the cats pajamas, I'm just not willing to spend that for a hook, add in tungsten weights and you can have 5-6-7 dollars or more tied up in terminal tackle on every cast. It only takes a couple of pike or walleye or pickerel to ruin a day on the water and I've found that the more money you have on the end of your string the more likely you are to attract toothy critters and we have a lot of them around here.LOL

Rodney

Most Trokar hooks won't fit in the older molds without modification. The reason is the hook eye is larger than other hooks, if you look at the Trokar round shaky head mold you'll notice it uses even the heavy wire models of hooks the the Mustad 32796 which most do-it molds use the 32798 as the wire is thinner. I not sure I want any of those yet as I like a shaky head with light wire which I already have but if I didn't hae it I would look seriously at that mold as it seems you can use both light and heavy wire hooks.

I want that shakey head mold with that EWG lookin hook. But I am with yall,trokar hooksare pricey

That is one I was also considering but from the looks of it, that may be the one that uses only a Trokar hook, the 815 to be specific. Once I get more details I may get it anyway, and the reason being is that Trokar 815 looks like a wicked hook for a shaky head. I also like the football jig and the swim jig, I wasn't going to even bother but the fact that they use heavy hooks will make it worth while as right now I use the Snootie as my flipping jig. The Owner 5304 is killer and the head shape make it great for grass and most cover in general. I need to stop as I'm talking myself into getting one or three of these.

Most Trokar hooks won't fit in the older molds without modification. The reason is the hook eye is larger than other hooks, if you look at the Trokar round shaky head mold you'll notice it uses even the heavy wire models of hooks the the Mustad 32796 which most do-it molds use the 32798 as the wire is thinner. I not sure I want any of those yet as I like a shaky head with light wire which I already have but if I didn't hae it I would look seriously at that mold as it seems you can use both light and heavy wire hooks.

Just make sure your shakey head worm will float a heavier hook. Shakey head worms that lie flat on the bottom are worthless I.M.O.

The design type of the jig head and weight may also make a difference in stand-up capabilities. Dropping your completed jig/worm combo into 12" or more of water in a bucket or the bathtube will give you the real deal.I've been surprised more then once using this technique

Edited by smallmouthaholic

It's nice that someone other than Smalljaw and myself understand that a stand-up jig will not stand-up if you don't have some kind of buoyant plastic bait to keep the hook floating as well. There are so many guys out there that buy stand-up jigs based on a manufacturers recommendations (a video showing a jig bouncing around in a 10 gal aquarium) and then go out and fish it with a regular plastic bait. I guess they figure that since it's on video, it actually works that way in a real life lake presentation.

It's nice that someone other than Smalljaw and myself understand that a stand-up jig will not stand-up if you don't have some kind of buoyant plastic bait to keep the hook floating as well. There are so many guys out there that buy stand-up jigs based on a manufacturers recommendations (a video showing a jig bouncing around in a 10 gal aquarium) and then go out and fish it with a regular plastic bait. I guess they figure that since it's on video, it actually works that way in a real life lake presentation.

Salted plastics don't float -plain and simple. Adding floating bubbles product is not the answer. I've spent coutless hours in years past and 3 hours in an indoor pool the past two Monday evening attempting to shoot successful videos of the new swim-baits I manufacture along w/ other soft-baits that don't work well in an aquarium setting. I make specific hook and jig head recommendations on my website based on test results and the report card the bass give me. I'm very specific about central balance of a swimming worm,wacky worm, jigs and swim-baits.The baits must sink and perform w/ the hook in an upright position.95% of the bass we catch have the hook centered in the roof of their mouths.

We were testing a new product on various jig heads and again,my eyes were opened to which custom jig heads work best.One jig head weight was too light where as the same design w/ a heavier stand-up head did the trick w/ a floating bait

The trailers used on a standard fiber weed guard,bullet head bass jig can greatly affect central balance-some will cause the jig to lay on its side. Water testing ,whether it be in a clear water-above ground pool,in ground pool,the bathtub or a simple bucket for jigs-before fishing them is paramount to your success and consistent hooking ability of your product .

Salted plastics don't float -plain and simple. Adding floating bubbles product is not the answer. I've spent coutless hours in years past and 3 hours in an indoor pool the past two Monday evening attempting to shoot successful videos of the new swim-baits I manufacture along w/ other soft-baits that don't work well in an aquarium setting. I make specific hook and jig head recommendations on my website based on test results and the report card the bass give me. I'm very specific about central balance of a swimming worm,wacky worm, jigs and swim-baits.The baits must sink and perform w/ the hook in an upright position.95% of the bass we catch have the hook centered in the roof of their mouths.

We were testing a new product on various jig heads and again,my eyes were opened to which custom jig heads work best.One jig head weight was too light where as the same design w/ a heavier stand-up head did the trick w/ a floating bait

The trailers used on a standard fiber weed guard,bullet head bass jig can greatly affect central balance-some will cause the jig to lay on its side. Water testing ,whether it be in a clear water-above ground pool,in ground pool,the bathtub or a simple bucket for jigs-before fishing them is paramount to your success and consistent hooking ability of your product .

Wow, I have to commend you for taking this a step further and actually doing experiments and seeing what actually happens. Looks like you are doing your homework and have data, videos and pics to back up your statements. Wish the rest of the companies in the world would back up their product with good sound testing and trial and error work. Job well done.

Wow, I have to commend you for taking this a step further and actually doing experiments and seeing what actually happens. Looks like you are doing your homework and have data, videos and pics to back up your statements. Wish the rest of the companies in the world would back up their product with good sound testing and trial and error work. Job well done.

Thank you Cadman.

It seems many on T.U. are more concerned about the fancy paint jobs/3d eyes etc-before these well meaning individuals even know how their custom bait will perform in the water. Jigs don't need two and even three color paint schemes w/ 3D eyes to catch bass. Varied ,colorful silicone layers rigged sparsely w/ a nice appropriate and complimentary,scented plastic craw trailer is all that is necessary .Attracting the bass is one thing,hooking them is another. It's amazing just how the same realistic crawfish jig trailer (w/out salt) will change the balance of a jig when trimmed to various lengths. A small drop of gel, cynoacrylic glue will keep a jig trailer in position so central balance is maintained.Place this just after the bend of the hook before you side your plastic trailer in place.

Edited by smallmouthaholic

Thank you Cadman.

It seems many on T.U. are more concerned about the fancy paint jobs/3d eyes etc-before these well meaning individuals even know how their custom bait will perform in the water. Jigs don't need two and even three color paint schemes w/ 3D eyes to catch bass. Varied ,colorful silicone layers rigged sparsely w/ a nice appropriate and complimentary,scented plastic craw trailer is all that is necessary .Attracting the bass is one thing,hooking them is another. It's amazing just how the same realistic crawfish jig trailer (w/out salt) will change the balance of a jig when trimmed to various lengths. A small drop of gel, cynoacrylic glue will keep a jig trailer in position so central balance is maintained.Place this just after the bend of the hook before you side your plastic trailer in place.

I agree with most of what you say but one jig I've had a ton of success with is a wedge head jig, Do-it calls it a Snootie jig. There is no way that jig stands up, I use it as a flipping jig and 99.9% of the hits come on the fall, out of thousands of fish I've caught on it none, and I mean none have ever been hooked in the lower part of the jaw, always on the roof or upper corner of the mouth and it isn't an exageration. I spent quite a few hours in lakes and rivers and I have discussed this with cadman in length about certain jig heads and I proved to a friend who believed that his buckeye spot remover jig was standing up on the bottom that it wasn't. I found even with a floating plastic trailer that if a jighead with a flat side ends up falling on its side, it doesn't right itself too many times were as the round head will as the plastic floats up. I like eyes on a lot of my baits, for jigs it doesn't matter, it is purely cosmetic but I've found days where I would have smallies smash the spinnerbait and then use the same bait after I took my knife and cut the eyes off and I found a distinct difference in the bites, the fish started hitting the blades more often and short striking, and I know about trailer hooks, I don't use them , even if fishing for money I won't use them as Ive witnessed too many fish with the trailer hook in the eye of the fish and in the side of the head of the fish, they havve too much risk for reward but I do think the eyes help them key on a bait in certain situations but like color, it only matters when it matters.

But, but, but....they can't say it on the Internet if it isn't true! Hahaha

I agree with most of what you say but one jig I've had a ton of success with is a wedge head jig, Do-it calls it a Snootie jig. There is no way that jig stands up, I use it as a flipping jig and 99.9% of the hits come on the fall, out of thousands of fish I've caught on it none, and I mean none have ever been hooked in the lower part of the jaw, always on the roof or upper corner of the mouth and it isn't an exageration. I spent quite a few hours in lakes and rivers and I have discussed this with cadman in length about certain jig heads and I proved to a friend who believed that his buckeye spot remover jig was standing up on the bottom that it wasn't. I found even with a floating plastic trailer that if a jighead with a flat side ends up falling on its side, it doesn't right itself too many times were as the round head will as the plastic floats up. I like eyes on a lot of my baits, for jigs it doesn't matter, it is purely cosmetic but I've found days where I would have smallies smash the spinnerbait and then use the same bait after I took my knife and cut the eyes off and I found a distinct difference in the bites, the fish started hitting the blades more often and short striking, and I know about trailer hooks, I don't use them , even if fishing for money I won't use them as Ive witnessed too many fish with the trailer hook in the eye of the fish and in the side of the head of the fish, they havve too much risk for reward but I do think the eyes help them key on a bait in certain situations but like color, it only matters when it matters.

I've never had experience w/ the Snoottie jig but the type and size of plastic may make a difference. One nevers knows until thorough underwater tests are observed.Dual rattles on a collarded rattle band will make a bullet jig stand up

Many times (w./the same design of a stand-up jig) the use of a heavier jig will cause the bait to stand up. It's all trial and error.Different brands of plastisols may end up floating an un-salted bait higher then others.