Jig Man

Tuning The A-rig

Here in MO we are only allowed 3 hooks so the 5 wire A-Rig has to be modified. Last spring I ran 2 willowleaf blades with 3 baits to be legal.

My problem is I never can tell where the blades will be on a retrieve. Sometimes they are on top and sometimes on the bottom. I have moved them around where they are side by side and with a bait between them. Nothing has helped.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to get them to run better.

DSC02967.jpg

Jigman,

I by no means am an expert at this. But based on your pic, that is the same way I would run my rig. I would think that the wires with the leadhead and plastic, would be heavy enough to keep those three down as you reel because of the weight. But maybe the torque of the baits going throu the water spins your "A" rig. This is what I would try, to keep your 3 baits down. #1 Take off your willows and leave the arm empty, see how it runs maybe less torque from the willows spinning. #2 Cut off the middle wire and one of the outside wires, should balance all three of the outside baits and will keep them down because of the weight distribution. These are only suggestions, as I don't use an "A rig. I don't know if you make these, but if you do, make one with only 3 arms. Maybe somone else has some other suggestions.

Jigman,

Here in California we are also limited the three hooks. I make a 4 wire rig and put a #4 willow blade on top then there are two side wires with 1/4 oz heads and finally a 3/8 oz. head on bottom. The blade adds drag and wants to lift like a spinnerbait and the 3/8 oz. head gives it a keel effect. This combination seems to right itself within one or two turns of the handle.

• Like 1

I make mine with five 'arms', but only use three for hooks/lures.

The other two; I use weights to make it swim upright.

BTW; I use castnet leads for weights on the 'arms'

I also make a 'C2 Rig' which is essentially a spreader bar with a heavy jig on the bottom with a swimmer jig with teaser on each of the other two 'arms' JMHO C2

Edited by Charlie2

I live in MO also Jig Man. What I use is a 5 arm also but I clip off the upper two swivels. To the loops I add a screw lock, the newer type that has the centering pin. Now I can add a small plastic to the upper two arms with the screw lock spun into the nose of the plastic. They will rock from side to side nicely. I usually use the Zoom swimming fluke Jr on the outer four arms and a large size on the center arm. I use weighted hooks on the other three baits. The weight makes the rig spin around and track with the two weighted hooks on the bottom. This set-up gives the rig balance to run right but enough weight to put the hooks in the right position every cast.