Finnz922

Do It Weedless Football Jig Mold Substitute Hook

I have the Do It Mold Weedless Football Jig - FBW-4-AF Item# Type Collar Cavities Salt

Compatible Hook Style 3318 Weedless Football Jig Ring & Barb 4 (1 Each Size) No 570-575

Sizes (oz.) 1/4 3/8 1/2 3/4 Hook Sizes 3/0 or 4/0 Insert

FG-12 or FG-12HB

What I want to know is there a substitute hook that is better quality than the Eagle Claw Aberdeen? I would prefer a Gamakatsu or Owner, shoot even a Lazer Sharp. Thanks guys.

Lots of hooks for that mold. Gamakatsu has the 604 and 111, Owner has the 5318, and Mustad has the 32756 and the 32831. My advise would be to check out the new Eagle Claw 570 BP or as Barlows has it, the 570B. It is the new black platinum or black pearl as they were originally called when released. Anyway, these aren't you dad's Eagle Claw hooks, I have been using those and I just finished making a bunch of 1/4oz brush jigs with the Eagle Claw EL111BP, I made them for a friend that would only use Gamakatsu hooks and I fooled him with these and now he ask for the Eagle Claws and it saves him $.70 per jig. The point I'm making is the new hooks are good, get the Owner or Gammys that you want and then spen an extra 5 bucks and get 100 EC BP series hooks, I think you'll be surprised.

I agree with Smalljaw. We are now using the Eagle Claw 570BP for all of our production jigs. For the money, I haven't found anything that is close to it.

About 8 to 10 years ago or so I used the Eagle Claw 570BP LS hooks. They ended up being discontinued and I bought 4,000 or so on a clearance sale. I have not seen anything since resembling these hooks from Eagle Claw and I am down to my last few hundred.

How do these new hooks from Eagle Claw compare to the LS hooks?

About 8 to 10 years ago or so I used the Eagle Claw 570BP LS hooks. They ended up being discontinued and I bought 4,000 or so on a clearance sale. I have not seen anything since resembling these hooks from Eagle Claw and I am down to my last few hundred.

How do these new hooks from Eagle Claw compare to the LS hooks?

The BP series is new, they only came out about a year or so, maybe two but they have a lot of models that are laser sharp with the black platinum finish. I can tell you on the small sizes, I like them but they have a normal size bard and some prefer the micro barb but for me, I like them. When you get to the 1/0 to 3/0 I find them super sharp, strong and the consistency is incredible, in a year of using the 570 and can honestly say that I'm approaching 2000 hooks used and not a single bad one and at the price for performance, they can't be beat. I know some will never give them another try but I'm glad I did and so are a good bit of my friends that I make tackle for, for the price on a hunderd hooks it would be worthh it just to try, if you don't like them it is a small price to pay but if you find that they will work for you, then you just saved youself a lot of money.

The BP series is new, they only came out about a year or so, maybe two but they have a lot of models that are laser sharp with the black platinum finish. I can tell you on the small sizes, I like them but they have a normal size bard and some prefer the micro barb but for me, I like them. When you get to the 1/0 to 3/0 I find them super sharp, strong and the consistency is incredible, in a year of using the 570 and can honestly say that I'm approaching 2000 hooks used and not a single bad one and at the price for performance, they can't be beat. I know some will never give them another try but I'm glad I did and so are a good bit of my friends that I make tackle for, for the price on a hunderd hooks it would be worthh it just to try, if you don't like them it is a small price to pay but if you find that they will work for you, then you just saved youself a lot of money.

This particular series might be new, but they offered a black pearl 570 hook in the laser sharp many years ago also. Just went out to the shop and dug out my last box, which has to be at least 10 years old and probably more.

I got them at Jann's (and I think it was pre Netcraft)

ECBP570.jpg

ECBP570_2.jpg

This particular series might be new, but they offered a black pearl 570 hook in the laser sharp many years ago also. Just went out to the shop and dug out my last box, which has to be at least 10 years old and probably more.

I got them at Jann's (and I think it was pre Netcraft)

ECBP570.jpg

ECBP570_2.jpg

Yep, the black pearl and it started out the same with the new ones and I believe that is why they switched it to black platinum. This is what I loce about this site, you learn a lot even if you've been making tackle for a long time. I didn't know about these so thank you for that and as I said, that is probably why they changed the name because when the introduced the EL11BP they did indeed call it black pearl but then changed it to black platinum. Anyway, I'm not sure if they were the same as I started making tackle in 1996 with spinnerbaits and I didn't use aberdeen jig hooks. I'm guessing it is different as the info I got when emailing EC was that this new series is a new process and I believe it as the hooks are stronger and the laser sharp are exactly that. Thanks for the history lesson, as I said I don't know what those older ones were like but EC told me these are completely new but either way I like them.

The old ones were/are nice, that's why I bought 1000's of them. lol I'm glad to see they brought a very similar hook back into the line-up at a reasonable price. I was starting to entertain other options because my stash is getting low.

Now if I could get Bass Pro to re-release the 3 1/2" Tender Tube in #13 melonpepper life would be good :)