bassmaster7938

Thinning Devcon 2t

Denatured alcohol. However I personally don't advise it as I believe it will weaken the epoxy. You can also heat the mixed epoxy a bit and it will flow more freely, however when you heat it, it accelerates the curing process. I apply it on as is. You realistically can only do maybe (10) 1/2 oz baits if you are really fast and have the system down.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

What temp is the room that your epoxy is stored in? If it's stored where it's too cool it will thicken up on you. Just put it in front of a heat register or in your shirt pocket for a while, etc. and it should improve. You also want to use it in a warm enough location (not a cold garage.)

I'm going to echo everyone else here but I will also add that if you thin with alcohol you run a big risk of air bubbles forming. Now I can also tell you not to worry too much about brush marks, one thing that I can say about D2T is it is close to if not entirely self leveling meaning it will smooth out, from the first time I've used it right throught more than 100 tubes I never had any abnormalities on a jig of spinnerbait head after it was applied. The way I work with is based on how many jigs or spinnerbaits I have to do, for example if I am doing 2o 1/2oz jig I know I'll have to work quickly in order to get a nice coat before it gets to thick to work with so I mix a small amount on a small piece of coated cardboard, the coating just keeps the epoxy from sticking to it but I have used regular cardboard with no problems. The amount is about the size of a nickel and after it is mixed will allow me to do 7 jigs and then it is used up, no waste and then another nickel size spot of D2T and another 7 jigs. It sounds tedious but it goes quick, but it is a system I came up with that works for me, you may be able to do more but 7 works for me, if I have say 8 or 10 I can do that with 1 batch of epoxy but by the time I get to the last one it is pretty thick but still workable and it cures smooth and just as good as the first.

I hit the two parts of the epoxy with my hair dryer while they are still in their separate plastic bottles to warm them enough to get them, especially the resin, to flow out well. The hardener usually flows okay without heating, but I work in an unheated garage, and sometimes I do need to heat both parts.

Once I've mixed them I don't heat the mixture any more or the epoxy sets really fast.

Talk about jinxing myself.

I wanted to install some lips in cranks today, but, when I got back from picking up my daughter from school, the power in our neighborhood was out.

So I moved outside onto my driveway, where there is plenty of light.

Of course, I damn near ruptured myself trying to sqeeze the epoxy out of the bottles, with no hair dryer to heat it.

I finally got all three lips installed, and, wouldn't you know, the power came back on, just in time for me to go inside and make a cup of hot coffee, and try and defrost.

Hahaha Sometimes you just have to laugh at life's little jokes.