dog1660

Home Made Alabama Rigs

Have any of you made any Alabama rigs?

I have been playing around with some and wanted to find out what kind of wire you have found to work best. I have seen some stainless wire on the net but can you find any localy like hardware or craft stores. I have looked at a couple places here but have not found the correct wire either too short or too thin.

The castable rigs look like they are made with 0.040 to 0.055" thick stainless, is it regular stainless or hardened. Maybe some kind of spring steel would work. What do you think and would like any input. Thanks

I am in no way a expert. Making these is what goth started wanting to make.

What I used to make an umbrella rig is .051" spinnerbait wire. It is a stainless wire that I pick up locally from a tackle shop. It is a little bit thicker wire than most. It came in a 10' roll and I have made a bunch. All for myself to experiment.

I have caught plenty of fish on this rig. Caught a 28 lb stripe last year and it bent it up bad. It was able to be bent back and more fish was caught in it.

At fishingskirts.com there is a Boss mold kit.  It comes with the mold and 5 sets of wires for $22.  I bought it last spring and made up a bunch with their wire sets and some stainless I found in a barn down on the farm.

You can get a mold compound at Hobby Lobby for about $25 that will make up about 35 A rigs.

Do-it now makes an A-Rig mold and they sell the wire sets for them also. I believe most of the wire used was .035 and .040 and the reason I say that is there was a shortage of that wire diameter about 2 months into the A-Rig craze and I had a suppler tell me the wire was all going to companies making the A-Rig but it seems things are good now. I would use ,040 just because you can get away with a larger wire so why not use it.