chester_fb

Painting Spinnerbait Eyes?

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone has a good technique of painting spinnerbait eyes so they are the exact same each time?

I want to make oval shaped eyes, and can't come up with a good way of doing these efficiently.

I was thinking some sort of stencil, mold or something along these lines. Maybe I'm just over thinking this and there is a simple way of doing it

Thanks guys

Chester

The end of three different diameter paint brushes will do the trick. EYes have an imprtance  but why jump through hoops to create painted,oval eyes. The fish don't differenciate whether they're round or oval.Spinners baits are reaction strike baits. Weight/size,blade configurations, body color and skirt selections make the difference

Edited by smallmouthaholic

Assuming that you're using liquid paint to paint the eyes, making a "stamp" out of a small wooden dowel or paint brush, nail head, etc. filed or sanded into the oval shape that want should work.  

It'll probably need to have the paint wiped off every so often while it's being used so drying paint doesn't build up to keep it the size and shape you want.

I don't build spinnerbaits, but have painted a few eyes on cranks. The easiest way I've found to get repeatable results when painting is to build a stencil. I like to use clear plastic for my stencils so you can see through them to make sure alignment is correct. Thin stencil material is also a plus as it's easily conforms to the surface your trying to paint. For oval shaped eyes I took a small diamond coated burr in my Dremel and made a hole in the clear plastic. To make it oval shaped all you have to do is move the burr a little to one side in a straight line.

hope this helps,

Ben