flippinfool

Oiling Hinges On Lead Molds

I have used motor oil, 3 in 1 oil and machinist oil. No matter what you use it's all good. Some lubrication is better than none. I apply about every 6 months especially on molds that I use more often. I know a guy also that has never used any oil on his molds and he has been pouring for 20 years. Never had a problem with his molds. I think you might run into more problems if you leave your molds in the garage year around where the temps constantly change, along with high humidity and moisture. That's where I can see the roll pin that is used to hold the mold halves start to rust. I don't believe those roll pins are stainless steel. Also the other problem with aluminum molds being exposed to elements, is that aluminum unless entirely anodized will start to pit and oxidize going from gray color to whiet powdery residue. But this will take a really long time to get to this state and the raw aluminum would have to be out in the elements 24 -7 .

I do almost the same thing as Cadman, when I get a new mold I oil it right away and then I give it a shot every 6 months or so but only the ones I use a lot. The oil I use is 3 in 1 and that is simply because it has a nice little pour nozzle that allows for precise oil placement quick and easy.