Apdriver

Black Nickel Hook

Hey Guys,

My son wanted to order Do-It mold CRJ-6-WBA which calls for a Mustad 32756 or Eagle Claw 570. The problem is I would prefer a black nickel Mustad hook versus the bronze. I have searched for a 32756bln and seems Mustad doesn't make one. My question is does Mustad make a black nickel hook that is a sub for the 32756. Thanks.

Go to Captain Hooks and get the Eagle Claw EL570BP, that is the new Eagle Claw laser sharp 570 with the new black platinum finish. I've been using the new Eagle Claw black platinum hooks now for 2 years and I'm sold. BTW I'm replacing my Mustad hooks with the new Eagle Claws, I was a firm believer that dollar for dollar there wasn't a better hook than the Mustad and since they moved production to china the hooks haven't been the same, the quality has disappeared. The ultra point hooks now fold over with very little pressure, hit a snag and the hook is junk but the New Eagle Claws have been great, I can say I now like them much more than the Mustads.

I currently don't see a black version of the 32756, however a Mustad 32746NP-BP hook is close, this is a black nickle hook. They have the same wire diameters so that should not be an issue regarding fitting in the mold. Maybe someone else has more info on it. Also since you mentioned EC 570. EC now has retooled many of their hooks and they are available in Black Platinum. The one you might consider is EC 570BP or EC L570BP. The "L" stands for laser point.

I currently don't see a black version of the 32756, however a Mustad 32746NP-BP hook is close, this is a black nickle hook. They have the same wire diameters so that should not be an issue regarding fitting in the mold. Maybe someone else has more info on it. Also since you mentioned EC 570. EC now has retooled many of their hooks and they are available in Black Platinum. The one you might consider is EC 570BP or EC L570BP. The "L" stands for laser point.

32746BLN is a great hook for the smaller sizes.

Hi!

What is the difference between EC L3052 and EC L570BP (according to Captain Hook's shop). Both are laser point and black nickel finish, and compare to Mustad 32746NPBN. I have used 3052, they are good, with the exception of the finish (becomes rusty). But for their price didn't use something better. Are L570BP better hooks (cost more)?

It would be really nice if someone had time, to start a sticky thread of interchangablehooks. If a nold calls for the 579, what hooks in other styles from other same or other manufacturers would fit the mold. It would be a large task though.

It would be really nice if someone had time, to start a sticky thread of interchangablehooks. If a nold calls for the 579, what hooks in other styles from other same or other manufacturers would fit the mold. It would be a large task though.

If you go to Barlows Tackle, they have the mold along with the hook that is recommended along with alternatives. They do that for most of the molds and if you look at the paper catalog they usually have the hooks listed with the wire diameter so that way is you are looking at 60 degree hooks you can see which hooks have close to the same wire diameter.

I started something like this about 6 years ago. I have the hook with manufacturer, size of hook, wire diameter, length of hook, barb, hook eye and everything calculated. Only to find that I could not devote the time to finishing this. You have to multiply all the different styles of hooks along with all the manufacturers multipled by which hook will fit which mold without mods. Yes this would be an invaluable chart for everyone's use. The thing that stops me is this. Time frame, you would have to have all of the hooks from all of the manufacturers with all the sizes, along with all of the molds to see which ones would fit easily. Now you could compile a list like this with eveyone's input, however I would be hesitant to do this because if it is not accurate, than all the work is for naught. So one person would have to measure all the hooks and check fit to see if everything fits as it is supposed to. If one person could not control all of the input data, the information would be all over the place. Just my thought on this. So what I do is buy sample hooks keep them in my sample box and if I ever need to know if a certain hook fits a mold I get the hook and place it in the mold. Also I like the Barlow's catalog like Smalljaw mentioned. That catalog is an invaluable tool for most guys to get a rough idea of what is comparable to each other. Maybe someday when I retire I will take on this massive project.

Here's what I did: As Smalljaw suggested, I went to Capt. Hook and ordered the Eagle Claw Black Platinum hook in #6, 1/0, and 2/0. 100 of each. The # 6 and 1/0 hook points look the same and I would say they are the EC hooks. However, the 2/0 looks just like a Gamakatsu hook. I would think if they didn't have the EC they would just back order them as opposed to substituting a much more expensive hook. They will all work nicely and my son has already poured up a bunch and caught a big spot yesterday with one.