fatkid

2 Tone Jig Heads

Hello, I'm new to this page and just getting started making bucktails for saltwater use. I'm making Jig heads from 3/8oz roundheads to 8oz Ultra Minnows. I'm set up with a fluid bed and I'm running 6 colors. My question is what is the best way to powder coat a 2 tone head? I tried heating up a painted head and tapping a brush but I wasn't getting a good coating on or it was clumpy. I also tried tapeing off an area and re dipping and that didn't turn out very good either. If anyone has any idea of what I should be doing I would appreciate it.

Thanks 

Cadman, the tapping guru, said it took him 3 years to learn how to do that.  I've been doing it off and on for about a year and it is not an easy process but it is coming.  I'll say use just a tad of paint and tap use more if needed.  I put it on painted jig heads that haven't been baked heating the area I want with my heat gun.

There was a big post about it a while back.  Look for it and you may get some better ideas than I have here.

Nothing personal against Cadman but 3 years is a long time to learn a technique. Simply airbrush your 2-tone jig heads  w/ consistent results in a quick and timely manner-if you insist. Epoxy coat them for durability. Even if you master the tap and coat,two color technique, you still have to coat them w/ epoxy for durability.

Hello, I'm new to this page and just getting started making bucktails for saltwater use. I'm making Jig heads from 3/8oz roundheads to 8oz Ultra Minnows. I'm set up with a fluid bed and I'm running 6 colors. My question is what is the best way to powder coat a 2 tone head? I tried heating up a painted head and tapping a brush but I wasn't getting a good coating on or it was clumpy. I also tried tapeing off an area and re dipping and that didn't turn out very good either. If anyone has any idea of what I should be doing I would appreciate it.

Thanks

It all depends on how fancy you want to get. You can use the tap method like I do or you can use an airbrush powder paint sytem like smalljaw does. He is the one that has the powder air brush process down to a science. No matter which way you go, you will need to take some time and practice. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't care how good you are , you will need to practice to get the sytem down. Also whether you tap on the powder or you use an airbrush powder sytem, once you bake your jig you do not have to clear coat it. The paint will be hard enought for most applications. Only clearcoat if you put on stick on eyes, or if you want a little more durability. If you bake them properly the powder paint will last a long time.

Edited by cadman

With your second color for the two-tones that you dipped, are you dipping them into the fluid bed?  If so, that's kind of a "moving target" with the powder floating around and dipping the jig part way into the powder paint in a regular container works better. 

With up to "8 oz. jigs" you probably would be better off using a powder spray gun or airbrushing liquid paint for the larger jigs instead of tapping on powder with a brush - that's a LOT of surface to cover by tapping!

Good luck!

For the tap method try these http://www.crayolastore.com/product/11979

The different sizes will help control the amount of paint. Most importantly you must "fan" the brush. Push it straight down on to a hard surface and spin it. It will fan out just right. Need alot of paint, use a larger brush. Need less paint use a smaller fine brush. I can lay 6-8 colors if needed with just tapping. For two tone I just dip the lower half in a shallow pan and tap for the top color. A 1/4 oz head takes less than ten seconds. The larger the head the more time. It took about 1000 plus heads to really get it down. Good luck and welcome to TU.

Edited by flippinfool

didn't I read on here somewhere about a liquid that you mix with powder paint so you can spray conventionally, it dries then just bake and cure? anyone use this?

That is called "powder water" and it is a pain to use almost to the point that you may as well just use createx airbrush paint and clear coat.

What would I need to get started with a powder airbrushing system? Am I using the same powder paint?

Same powder paint and then you can either go to TJ's Tackle or one of the big suppliers and buy the "powder paint airbrush" which is actually the Badger model 260 hobby sandblaster, well at least it was when I started spraying powder. Spraying powder will not get you much detail but it will allow you to make a nice 2 tone jig and with some practice you can do a lot more. Good luck.

I do 4 oz. spros, and up to 8oz. fluke balls. Use the tap method. Keep going back to the hot air gun from time to time to keep the temps up.  The biger the area I am doing, the further away I have the brush. I tap extra powder off before I go over the jig to keep clumps to a min. Have done up to 6 color jigs this way,

I do have the air brush, but only tried it one time. I also use vicegrips to hold the jigs while painting. If I start air brushing anything, it will be the polyurethane coating put on the jigs.

I got my aribrush on sale at Ama-zon for around $28.

Edited by BLT