Kasilofchrisn

Lead Mine Ingots

So a coworker of mine recently brought me some lead to use.

We made a deal where I will make him some Halibut fishing sinkers with his share of the lead and I can use my share for whatever I want on a 50-50 split.

If I make him some jigs I will certainly get more of the lead for my costs and time.

There are about 100 pounds of wheel weights and also some large lead ingots.

The lead ingots are large and attached together in 3 groups of 5 and one group of 4 ingots.

He apparently bought them off of craigslist a few years ago.

The ingots are marked Doe Run. I am assuming this means they came from the Doe Run mine in Missouri.

So I suppose they made these out of pure lead. Is that correct?

Also at what ratios should I mix these with the wheel weights?

I have made lots of ingots before from wheel weights and lead pipe etc. I just have never seen the mine ingots before.

I suppose I should flux them with beeswax like I do my other lead but is it really neccessary on these larger mine ingots?

Thanks guys.

So a coworker of mine recently brought me some lead to use.

We made a deal where I will make him some Halibut fishing sinkers with his share of the lead and I can use my share for whatever I want on a 50-50 split.

If I make him some jigs I will certainly get more of the lead for my costs and time.

There are about 100 pounds of wheel weights and also some large lead ingots.

The lead ingots are large and attached together in 3 groups of 5 and one group of 4 ingots.

He apparently bought them off of craigslist a few years ago.

The ingots are marked Doe Run. I am assuming this means they came from the Doe Run mine in Missouri.

So I suppose they made these out of pure lead. Is that correct?

Also at what ratios should I mix these with the wheel weights?

I have made lots of ingots before from wheel weights and lead pipe etc. I just have never seen the mine ingots before.

I suppose I should flux them with beeswax like I do my other lead but is it really neccessary on these larger mine ingots?

Thanks guys.

You can't assume that it is pure lead. Doe Run makes all kinds of different lead alloys. the only metals I am aware of that could be in there is antimony and tin, both help make it harder and flow better. They put lots of other stuff that I am not aware of.

If your ingots are pure lead, the wheel weights will make it harder.

Now, I'm not recommending this, but I never flux. (when I say that it makes me think I teeth are going to rot :) )

About 95%of the lead I use is scrap. I go through 50-60 lbs of lead a day. I have fluxed or put a powder for fluxing but it does something, it smokes a lot and then when I cast (in rubber molds) it make the parts look pasty, not shinny, so that is way I don't flux. I have used wax but that scares me because of the flame.

I stir the top of the melt a lot and that removes the impurities for me. It all turns to dust, I skim that off. If the stuff on top is not in loose form like dust/dirt, then you haven't stirred enough.

Those ingots will need some fluxing  ...  All I have ever used needed it bad.  Good fluxing saves a lot of headaches  ... stirring will take care of some of it but for best results it takes "Burning" and stirring as well as skimming.  ...   when you collect a lot of skimmins melt them down   ... mite still be some good stuff left.

If you drop the ingots onto concrete from a coupla inches above, soft lead will "thud" and hard lead will "ding". Try to let a flat side of the ingots contact flush with the flat concrete.

Are the ingots six sided 4-5# muffins? If so, probably close to pure soft plumber's lead.

I haven't had time to test it I am out of town for work right now but I will before I get to using it.

I do have a hardness test kit for rocks (wifes an agate collector) I can use to help me figure it out as well.

Thanks guys for the reminders about ways to test it. I should have remembered those when he dropped it off.