CincyFisher

Modifying Tube-Tx Do-It Mold For Flat Eye Hook

I have decided to pour my own tube jigs and prefer to throw the ones with a flat eye hook.  I have looked at the do-it taper tube mold (TUBE-TX) which I like but it is designed for an inline hook.  I'm fairly sure that if I modify the hook eye portion of the mold I can make it accomodate a flat eye hook (Mustad 32798).  Has anyone else tried such a thing?  Any thoughts on how difficult that might be?  I have normal wood working type tools including a drill press.  Thanks for any tips you can pass along...

Bryan

Couldn't you just use the weedless round head mold for that application? I use that mold in the 1/8oz,3/16oz, and the 1/4oz for finesse jigs but I always make a bunch unpainted with a 2/0 flat eye hook to slip into 3" and 3.5" tubes and it works fine and no modification needed. Not only that but now you have a mold that can be used to make shaky heads and finesse jigs similar to an Eakins jig, lots of possibilities.

Edited by smalljaw

Couldn't you just use the weedless round head mold for that application? I use that mold in the 1/8oz,3/16oz, and the 1/4oz for finesse jigs but I always make a bunch unpainted with a 2/0 flat eye hook to slip into 3" and 3.5" tubes and it works fine and no modification needed. Not only that but now you have a mold that can be used to make shaky heads and finesse jigs similar to an Eakins jig, lots of possibilities.

Thanks for the idea - I never thought about that but I reckon that is a possibility.  That is one of the few molds (weedless round jig) I have too.  Something to think about...

The TX tube jig is designed to be rigged while tied to your leader, are you pushing that round head jig through the tube?

I know where I fish that most rig tubes by sliding the jig head into the body and push the eye through, the only time I've not done it that way is using a tube jig with a wire weedguard and then I go in through the top. The weedless round head is a 60 degree hook also, the different is that is uses a flat eye so you could go in a tube using the same method you are refering to, it may make a slightly larger hole but it could be done.