Kasilofchrisn

Hilts Big Mojo Bullet Head And Fluid Bed Painting

So last year I made some 24oz Hilts Big Mojo Bullet head jigs.

They are a standard in my area for Halibut and Lingcod in the saltwater.

This year I also plan to make some 16oz versions of the same thing.

The problem I have is the flat part on the back of the jig holds too much powder paint on them when I dip them in my fluid bed kinda like a shelf.

The jigs are too large to quickly dip and tap off the excess like I would on a smaller jig.

The fish didn't mind and neither did I really but I want to make some of these for coworkers and friends of mine and I would like them too look a little nicer without the paint runs.

This might also save me a little paint.

I may try not dipping them in as far to try and get less paint on the back of them but it is difficult to get just right.

I would prefer to continue using the fluid bed and powder paint as the jigs are a bit large for the hobby sandblaster spray gun I have but I am open to suggestions.

Any other ideas?

I hang mine and heat in a oven. You can try heating and dipping at a lower temperature. The powder sticks evenly and doesn't cure when they're not super hot. Sort of looks like you rolled it in flour. Then bake them. I do that and it works well, or I use a pair of channel locks on the back of the shank. Dip it and the tip it and smack the hook with a wrench to vibrate the excessive paint off quickly before it cures. Good luck.

Thanks Andy I figured you might have some good advice.

I will try both of those.

Thanks.

I have some jig holders from TJ's tackle for my small ice fishing jigs. Have you ever tried making one for bigger jigs like this?

I guess it could be as simple as a couple pieces of angle iron and a couple of vice grips.

That way any excess painy runs down the hook shank where it is more easily removed.

Curious of your thoughts on this.

Did you get a chance to try it yet. If I had time I would start with a low temp to apply a nice even level. Then put them back in to bake. I heat a 100 6-12 oz jigs to 500 and pull them out one at a time quickly then dip and hang. I use a piece of angle iron to hang my jigs. The lower temp will use a lot less paint. You could probably get 5 lbs of harbor freight white for 30 bucks.