theapodan

Inline Spinner - How Critical Is Clevis Size?

I'm new here, and am wanting to get parts to build inline spinners, and it looks like you can build them pretty cheap, which would make the pain of snagging and losing them less acute.

But I was looking at the blue fox spinners I have, and sizes 1-4 all appear to have the same clevis size, which seems to be about 3/16", measured as the gap between the holes, which is maybe a size 2.

So are size 2 clevises enough if I'm going to be making size 1-4 spinners?

If I want to get by with buying as few sizes as possible, which sizes would I get if I wanted to build anything from a size 1 to a size 6?

Thanks,

Robert

You look for clevis size based on type of clevis and the wire diameter you are using. I make safety pin type bass spinnerbaits, I use a size 3 clevis for baits that go from 1/4oz up to 3/4oz, now the 1/4oz baits I could use a size 2 clevis, and I do use it a lot but it doesn't make a huge difference if I use a size larger EXCEPT, when I'm using a small willow leaf blade on the 1/4oz bait, and it is the only time I need to go with a size 2 clevis. I'm using a stirrup clevis but you may be looking at folded clevis' since there are some in-line spinners that use that type. My advise would be to go with the smallest size you can use, that way you will never have to worry about blade size or type.

I was told by one of the Reinke brothers (an owner of a small well stocked lure parts store in Milwaukee ) that if you have to comprimise on clevis size error on the large side.

I would recomend size 2 and 4  that should cover all of your sizes if you have extra cash get some size six for your bigger blades.

Thank you for the advice.  I went ahead and ordered both sizes 2 and 4.  Now I just have to deal with the anticipation until my order arrives.  Hopefully everything else is as straightforward as it seems, otherwise I may be back with more questions.

Thanks again,

Robert