Brent R

Painting Spinnerbaits

Brent,

Yes you can use an air brush to paint your spinnerbaits along with a good epoxy clearcoat. The only reason most guys use powder paint is for its durability. If you powder paint a jig or a spinnerbait and the paint starts to wear, the rest of the paint will still hold on, that is not true of water based air brush paints. They will wash off once the topcoat gets compromised.

Edited by cadman

".....that is not true of water based air brush paints. They will wash off once the topcoat gets compromised."

Cadman-

With all due respect,this statement is not true.. I've been airbrushing  1000's of spinner baits,buzz-baits and top-water plugs w/ water base with   Component System's  paint  and epoxy for  the past 8 years..I continue to powder coat 1000.s of jigs a year. I was one of the commercial manufacturers instrumental in their development of the powder paint.I will admit the 1st generation of powder paint available had many problems but the adhesion was  excellent.The new generation is much easier to use w/ simple reduction rates and pre-mixed products  that require little to no paint reduction.Adhesion remains excellent.

Prior to using Component System's  water base paints I used their Vinyl Lure and jig paint for 18 years. I.M.O. and experience ,each painting technique(powder painting vs. airbrushing ) has their good points and caveats.No painting technique is 100 %foolproof

Airbrushing water base  paint and epoxy requires knowledge ,technique and practice in conjunction w/ a compressor,airbrush and spray booth. Many simply don't want to learn and spend the additional money on equipment to do so.

Most guys that airbrush are going to use Createx, so I should have made myself more clear. Createx paint will not hold up well even if you clear coat it, once the epoxy is compromised. That's why many crankbait guys stress a good topcoat over Createx paint.  Yes there are many good waterborne paints, however like you said guys aren't going to use them or aren't going to pay the money to buy this paint. Lacquer paint is a better alternative for lots of guys, but again it comes down to prep work and lacquer is very bad for the lungs, unless you have good ventilation and wear an approved respirator. There are many good paints out there however when it comes to hobbies, many people want to go the cheap route, resulting in fair to poor results. Powder paint is fast easy and no fuss or clean-up.

Thanks for the replys.....The reason i wanted to use airbrush paint is to get some detail on the head of the spinnerbait.......I was also thinking of using auto clear for the clear coat...I know you can catch a bass on a cheap spinnerbaits...but i wanted to make a quality product.....Any more info would be welcomed...

thanks Brent

Brent, I have used a combo of vinyl jig white paint as a base coat followed by createx colors and detail, and finish with one or 2 coats of D2T. Eventually you will hit one too many rocks etc. and it will start to crack and delaminate, but by then the wire will be about wore out anyway. Been doing it this way for too many years to count. Tried powder paint but can"t get the hang of brush tapping. Good luck. Tony