Iamsam

Red Mustad Spinnerbait Hook

Ok i have just started pouring some of my spinners with the Red Mustad hook problem is when I cure the powder on the heads the red Hooks fade and don't look as good. I tried turning the oven down and baking longer but that didn't seem to help. Any Ideas on how to keep the hooks looking shiny and good?

I don't have an answer for you. However I will tell you that when the red hooks first came out on the market, the plating process was really good. As the fad started to wear off, the plating got worse, because they were trying to save money and started to skimp on the cleaning and plating process. I don't know what you have, but all the hooks I see now are really a sad cry from what they used to be.

I don't use red hooks but you can use red blade dip and make your own. Try using standard hooks and then the dye after you cure.

I agree with basskat, get some lake hawk or spike it blade dip, not the soft plastic dye, it will specifically say "blade dip" or "lure and blade dip". Get that and when you finish the cure you can either just dip the hook in the bottle or use a q-tip to apply it.

They hooked a lot of fishermen with the red hook craze. Then there was red line to go along with it.

It's just like crankbaits. Do you think a fish really sees all the fine details painted on the bait? I think they see the basic colors and feel the vibration, then react.

Bottom line is if the customer wants it build it. If they want it paint it.

The answer to the question is that dyed hooks will lose their color when heated.  They will also lose their color when getting dragged on rocks or rattling around in your tackle box.  If you want red hooks they can be powder painted electrostatic-ally.   .  .