bigtexbaits

Divided Cup Info

just made a divider for my cup put the jb weld on just wondering how long it will take before i can start pouring swirls 

Just a quick question. If you look at the metal devider from the outside of the pyrex; can you see the edge of the metal?

I have found that if the edge of the metal is exposed you can get arking in the micro. If you can see the metal take a black marker and paint the glass on the outside; this will help.

If you look in the softplastic gallery you will see what you can do with a three chamber pyrex.

Edited by nova

Wow ........ is there a tutorial for making swirls using a divided cup?  Would love to learn how to make the cup and the swirls

Basically there are 2 postions to use when you are pouring with the divided cups.(doesn't matter if it is 2 chambers or 3)If you pour from the lowest point(closest to the sprue hole) you will get a fairly nice laminate bait. If you pour from a little higher position you get the swirls. It takes a little practice. Temprature also comes into play.

is there a tutorial on making a 2 or 3 divided cup

All you need is JB weld; black marker;tinsnips; tin flashing and a pyrex cup. Divide the cup with the marker down the middle from one side to the other(pouring spout to handle). Cut and fit the flashing to the cup. This takes a while as you fine tune the divider to fit the cup. Cover the line you made with a line of JB weld and slide the flashing in place. Then apply more JBweld to both sides of the divider where it contacts the cup making sure there are no gaps around the flashing. Let it set and there you go.

For a three chamber pot just take the flashing and fold it in half and continue as described.

how do you prevent the microwave from reacting to metal when heating

The micro will not react to the metal as long as the very top edges are not shiny and there is no metal edges showing through the glass.

Edited by nova

sounds kinda scary to me...I have always understood ANY metal will react, I have seen sparks in the past. I would think there must be a better way.... hot plate or something if using metal to divide a cup...

Been doing it this way for years with no problems. If you put the pyrex on a hotplate it can blow up.

I thought the same way when I first tried it.

All you need is JB weld; black marker;tinsnips; tin flashing and a pyrex cup. Divide the cup with the marker down the middle from one side to the other(pouring spout to handle). Cut and fit the flashing to the cup. This takes a while as you fine tune the divider to fit the cup. Cover the line you made with a line of JB weld and slide the flashing in place. Then apply more JBweld to both sides of the divider where it contacts the cup making sure there are no gaps around the flashing. Let it set and there you go.

For a three chamber pot just take the flashing and fold it in half and continue as described.

When you say fold it in half do you mean in a sort of "V" shape with the bottom of the "V" pointing towards the spout? If you could post a picture of your cup that would be great! I really want to do this myself as the baits look fantastic...

When you say fold it in half do you mean in a sort of "V" shape with the bottom of the "V" pointing towards the spout? If you could post a picture of your cup that would be great! I really want to do this myself as the baits look fantastic...

Exactly. Make sure the "V" is as close to the pouring spout as possible. Better to be too high than not high enough.(you can always trim it down if need be.

I'll see what I can do about a pic.

Here's the pics of the 3 color cup. Hope it helps.

Perfect! Thanks for posting that. Would aluminum work or should I be sure to make my divider out of tin? I ask because I actually have some sheet aluminum but I don't want to use it if it'll mess up the microwave.... Otherwise I have everything else I need to do this already....

Will do and thanks again for all your help! I spend a lot if time over in hard baits as I love making balsa cranks. This is my first foray into soft plastics and I'm excited to see how it's going to go. I'm prepared for a learning curve and know I'll have a some setbacks along the way but the folks at TU have always been very helpful in smoothing out the bumps!

Will do and thanks again for all your help! I spend a lot if time over in hard baits as I love making balsa cranks. This is my first foray into soft plastics and I'm excited to see how it's going to go. I'm prepared for a learning curve and know I'll have a some setbacks along the way but the folks at TU have always been very helpful in smoothing out the bumps!

No problem. I've been doing this since 1990. It would have been a lot easier if TU was around then. Had to learn the hard way. When I found TU my learning curve took a big jump. There is no other site quite like this one. Good folks here.