CNC Molds N Stuff

Watermelon ?

Ok,  I really liked the old Bears Watermelon.  It could be made light and very translucent or dark and opaque but still green.  I bought some M-F Watermelon Green after Bears old pigment vendor shafted him, and its great for light and medium watermelon, but for dark it looks more translucent black than opaque green.  Anybody have an answer to get the old Bear's color?  I have considered the idea of adding some type of green highlight powde, but I am not really looking to lighten it up or get a pearl look.  I just want the old dark craw greeen you got by using a lot of the old Bear's watermelon.  (About 2 teaspoons per cup)

Yes, I saw that Bears now has a new watermelon, but the sample color picture looks more like the M-F watermelon green. 

And, yes it makes a difference. 

Now that the subject has come up, I'm going to try some of Baitjunky's Watermelon 500 and see how it compares... Living in Atlanta I get the joke (I-285 that surrounds the city is known as the watermelon 500 because folks drive like maniacs here!!) and Leonard provides some of the best customer service you'll ever find! When I get it and test it out I'll report back...

Bob, Bear's old coloring was Lureworks.  They have two different colors of watermelon.  Watermelon 500 and watermelon 600.  Watermelon 500 is most likely the color you're looking for.  Watermelon 600 has more of a yellow tint to it, and they really didn't shaft Bear, because another company decided to ship Lureworks plastic paint (not the water based stuff) in ways and to places that they weren't supposed to.  It kind of killed it for everybody.  It was just a bad situation and Bear was an innocent guy that just got caught in the middle. 

Bob, Spike-It and Lureworks are all the same company with Color Technologies being the parent company.  You will have to call them and ask specifically for watermelon 500.  You want to call extension 106.  This will be Bruce.  They make so many different colors it's almost impossible to list them. 

Ronald, you can buy this coloring two different ways. You can buy the hand pour version, by the quart or you can buy the coloring in it's pure form by the pound.  They prefer to sell two pounds but they will sell you one.  The coloring is more expensive, when purchased by the pound and is a very very thick material, so you can't use it by drops.  The best and most accurate way to use it is to weigh it by grams.  A gram to a half a gram per 20 ounces of plastic is all that's needed and will last the average hand pour guy a very long time.  But you don't have to worry about consistency with these folks.  The coloring is always the same every time you purchase it. Note that you will pay more per pound by buying only one pound, like I said, they prefer to either sell it 2 pounds at a time or 8 pounds at a time.  This is their standard packaging. 

Bob, Spike-It and Lureworks are all the same company with Color Technologies being the parent company.  You will have to call them and ask specifically for watermelon 500.  You want to call extension 106.  This will be Bruce.  They make so many different colors it's almost impossible to list them. 

Ronald, you can buy this coloring two different ways. You can buy the hand pour version, by the quart or you can buy the coloring in it's pure form by the pound.  They prefer to sell two pounds but they will sell you one.  The coloring is more expensive, when purchased by the pound and is a very very thick material, so you can't use it by drops.  The best and most accurate way to use it is to weigh it by grams.  A gram to a half a gram per 20 ounces of plastic is all that's needed and will last the average hand pour guy a very long time.  But you don't have to worry about consistency with these folks.  The coloring is always the same every time you purchase it. Note that you will pay more per pound by buying only one pound, like I said, they prefer to either sell it 2 pounds at a time or 8 pounds at a time.  This is their standard packaging. 

Great information.  Thanks. 

Bob the watermelon 500 is not the same thing you are looking for. I have some of the old bears stuff and will send it to you pm me your address. I don't use it in any of my colors so it is no big deal to send it to you. The watermelon 500 is sold by many company's now so it just might become the new standard. But people have favorites and won't change. What Mike says is true so if you want an old bears color Spikeit has it but don't think itis the same as it is much stronger. So old formulas will have to be tweaked. I have done plenty of that. Frank

Frank, you're exactly right about watermellon 500 becoming the standard, thats probably where the name watermellon 101 is derived from. Its probably the color number for the less concentrated version. When Bear had to change color companies the company he went with wanted him to send samples to be matched and I think they matched the color and the name but they didnt get it quite exact, therefore there are two watermellon 500 colors on the market. One company will only sell there coloring by the 5 gallon bucket where Color Tech will sell theirs as little as two pounds or one pound with a little bit of an extra charge. Its a shame Bear sent the colors in to have them matched and the company started distributing his matched colors to anyone that would purchase five gallons. Welcome to the plastic industry. :drool:

I have some of the new watermelon 500 and it is not the same as the old bears color. I was talking about the old bears watermelon that came from Spikeit. It is the same as the one they sell called watermelon 101.

Mike have you ever gotten color from the place that sells it in fives cause I think the paste you are talking about in much thicker. I have some but have never gotten any of the paste you get from Spikeit. Oh and they sell it by the pound not a five gallon bucket. Some colors weigh much more than others so the pail is not full. I want to say it is a 40 or45 pound minimum. Each color. And some prices like red are off the chart. Frank

Frank, 40 to 45 pounds is the standard weight of a full 5 gallon bucket give or take. Its the same way with color tech when you order plastisol, you dont order a drum of plastisol you order 440 pounds, a 5 gallon bucket of plastisol is 40 pounds. The company is P&D and their's is about the same consistancy as the pure stuff from color tech, the only thing is P&D's will hard pack, I have never had that problem with Color tech, I've got some colors that I dont use very often that are up to 3 years old and they never hard pack. The old Bear's watermellon came from color tech and its either watermellon 500 or watermellon 600, these two are color tech's two standard watermellon colors. Anytime they re-mix it will get a new color number, such as 101, it is a reference to use when creating the product, even if they do a custom color for me it gets a number so that it can be duplicated. Is your new watermellon 500 a color tech product? If its not then of course its not the same. If it is a color tech product and its not the same then its probably watermellon 600, which has a little bit more of a yellow tint to it. P&D also has a watermellon 500 and its not quite the same as color tech's or at least the sample they sent me wasn't.

Edited by carolinamike

Frank, 40 to 45 pounds is the standard weight of a full 5 gallon bucket give or take. Its the same way with color tech when you order plastisol, you dont order a drum of plastisol you order 440 pounds, a 5 gallon bucket of plastisol is 40 pounds. The company is P&D and their's is about the same consistancy as the pure stuff from color tech, the only thing is P&D's will hard pack, I have never had that problem with Color tech, I've got some colors that I dont use very often that are up to 3 years old and they never hard pack. The old Bear's watermellon came from color tech and its either watermellon 500 or watermellon 600, these two are color tech's two standard watermellon colors. Anytime they re-mix it will get a new color number, such as 101, it is a reference to use when creating the product, even if they do a custom color for me it gets a number so that it can be duplicated. Is your new watermellon 500 a color tech product? If its not then of course its not the same. If it is a color tech product and its not the same then its probably watermellon 600, which has a little bit more of a yellow tint to it. P&D also has a watermellon 500 and its not quite the same as color tech's or at least the sample they sent me wasn't.

Mike if you see someone say watermelon 500 chances are it is not from color tech. As you well know they won't sell to someone who resells it. The color most have is from the company you mentioned. Good to know that about the color tech product, gives me an idea of what to expect when I get big enough to buy it like that. Thanks for the info. Frank