canuck

In Line Double Blade Spinners Not Starting Rotation

I recently made up some inline spinners on .o40 wire.I wanted to imulate what is called a bulger type bait using  two #5 colorado blades mounted by a  #6 double clevis. Thinking that the double s shaped clevis would put the blades at opposite sides of the lure shaft to help balance it and allow plenty of free undisturbed water to start and spin the blades.To my surprise the blades seam just to stall and flutter with out fully lifting off and making a complete revolution  failing to cause the bulgging water effect.And infact not spinning at all.  This 's' shaped double clevis does mount the first blade slightly forward of the second blade and in air allows a very easy rotation.I have used solid brass beads behind the clevis as a bearing  behind which are mounted three coloured beads and a skirt  holding worm weight  for balance and throwing distance. The weight is approximately 1/4 oz or 3/8oz. For a hook I have used a mix of either a 2/0trebble or a 3/0 single.  Being new to building my own.I have put together a few dozen baits that look great but dont do what I expected them to in the water. Trying to figure out the problem before having to reshaft all of the baits.  Has any one experienced this kind of stalling before? What is causing it and is it a problem with #5 being too small for this kind of s shaped clevis. Any help or information that you might have would greatly be appreciated . 

I make safety pin type bass spinnerbaits so I'm not 100% sure about your problem but I can tell you what I heard musky guys say about the double clevis. I have heard a lot of guys having trouble with the double clevis set up when using Colorado blades less than a #7 and the same thing for Indiana blades, so maybe using two size #3 clevises may help but you need to put them on by interlocking them on the wire. To be honest the only real spinner I saw like that is the double cowgirl but as I said, in-line spinners are something I have made but very few and none using the double clevis.

Thanks  Smalljaw for your reply. The double (s) clevis is the equivilant of two  number 6 clevis in tandem.  A little over kill for two #5 blades but the idea of opposite or opossed   blade positioning on the shaft was to me worth a try. I have not seen any one using or supplying double s style clevis in smaller   sizes for this aplication. I have used smaller double clevic notched or overlapped on the shaft using a solid brass bead as a bearing in between . The result has the two blades tracking almost overlapping each other rather than being opposite each other for a fuller bulge or lift in the water. Again I will have to try larger blades in the 7 or 8 size to see how performance will vary. The  size 5 double design didn't have that big pike look to the profile after construction and was more a product of having an ample supply of coloured #5s available. In bench top  theory it should have worked better but as I am learning water testing ,castability and action is what counts in the end.. I am going to try re shafting the baits using #8 silver colorado blades  behind the coloured #5 blades thus still having the colour and adding some bulk and extra flash and weight to the in line spinners. Hopfully the water testing will be succesful. Thanks again for your feed back.

I had the same problem Canuck,I made some in line spinners for musky/pike,and the smaller blades wouldn't turn with the 's' style clevis. The # 10 and#12 blades worked great( very easy to bulge the surface with,though hard to crank in,time for a new reel LOL :teef: ). However the #8 blades just won't go. I even tried to troll them to maybe"break them in",,,,,, epic fail. Proof that some part combo's just don't work. I will be re-wiring these with regular style clevis' some rainy/snowy day(or night)

For #5 blades a #6 clevis seems awful big. Try two #4's. I have had good luck with two singles.

I make a double French Blade lure and for size 2 and 3 blades I use a pair of #3 and for size 4 blades I use a pair of #4 clevises and they spin like crazy.

The double clevis seems like a good thing but I have had better luck with two singles.