Griffond

Glide Bait Talk

my hats off to the guys building small gliders. I am sure balance points and glide action is far more critical then musky zize wood chunks

Actually, for me it's the opposite.  3 1/2" baits are easy.  I'm struggling to get a 7" bait to glide.

I am going to have to add Riverman's beer belly to the next one.

I would venture a guess that it might have to do with lure profile.  Just as a round body makes for a wobble in crankbaits, a rounded bottom should produce a wobble in a sinking bait, especially if the top is thinner, like an upside down V.

I haven't made a bait like that, but I have taken advantage of the V profile to make my baits more stable on a fast retrieve, so I think the opposite might be true.

I'm not sure.  It's hard to think clearly after a night of stuffing one turkey with another, and than marinating that stuffing in pace with red wine and pale amber beer.  Hahaha

I'm pretty sure the Pilgrims were really thankful the next day for Alka Seltzer!

Edited by mark poulson

@ mark poulson

Hope , that you're recovering from the feasting real soon , Mark :lol: !

I'd also second to your stat about the upside down "V" cross section , makes the belly part more buoyant , thus the lure is more likely to cant sideward , the belly weight tends to force it back level , thus the lure trembles on descend .

But might also have to to with vortices generated along the flanks , creeping from belly up to the back as the lure sinks , ....if you remember , years ago we've had a discussion about vortices in here , .....Vodkaman Dave was deeply involved and led us the right path , ......it was about "why do swimbaits swim the way they do " .

I remember having seen diagrams of air vortices around the cross section of an aircraft wing providing lift , probably it is similar with the cross section of a flat bodied sinking glider , ......the wing would be pulled upward and the Lure to the side , since compared to a wing it sits 90°offset :? ?

But by experience I know , that the cross section does not neccessarely requires to be  shaped like an upside down "V" , ...a simple flat cross section would work as well(but NOT neccessarely on EVERY lure shape), ...as long , as the width is significantly smaller than the height .

But I can't really tell about any accurate physical dynamics !

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

If anyone has a Strike King Red Eye Shad they might take a good look at it along with measurements of top and bottom. KVD has talked about the "shimmy" when this particular bait is allowed to fall on a slack line.

I'm thinking you guys might be onto something about the rounded bottom and narrower top.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Spent the last hour reading this thread. I have found that only testing gives me the answers I need. You can make the exact same lure and weight it identically from five different woods and it will run different on all of them. Some may not work at all while others will run perfectly. It's frustrating but also rewarding.

RM