benm98

Wacky Worms

Like Alsworms said it depends on the mood of the fish. I've seen times when they wouldn't take it unless it was laying there motionless. Other times they want it on the fall. Even the speed at which it falls can be a factor as to whether or not they'll bite. It's been my experience that you really have to try different retrieves until the fish tell you what they want. And it seems that this is even more so with the wacky worm.

Hope this helps.

Ben

In my opinion they are absolutely necessary if you don't want to waste a load of baits, just casting can toss one right off your hook. I've seen other alternatives such as surgical tubing or similar materials used with success but a pain making them in my opinion. Once you have the tool which I believe comes with 25 O-rings you can purchase a large quantity of them from an o-ring supply house I believe they are size .011 if I remember correctly but I think I got a 1000 for like $10 or something. again there may be other alternatives but quite often when its time to change your bait you just reuse the o-ring, sometimes you can even loose the bait and still have the o-ring on your hook so they last quite long. They are sized for Senko's so make sure that your bait is of the right diameter for the O-rings being used.

Edited by Gon2long

If you're concerned about the expense of buying the tool and the O rings, consider how much a bag of genuine Senkos cost.

As mentioned above, without the O ring, you can go through a bag of baits in no time, costing you almost as much as the tool and the initial supply of O rings that come with it.

So even though it might seem cost prohibitive to buy the tool, you're really saving a ton of cash over a very short time. And if you look at it over the long haul, you'll save yourself hundreds of $$ in wasted baits :)

Please note: I mentioned Senkos, but I am not partial to them. I believe there are many, many good baits of similar style that cost much less and catch fish just as well, if not better.

Wow guys I'm kinda shocked as this has been out for many moons now, I have to admit that I don't know where it originated but the senko is the norm so Gary might have something to do with it? Also I may be naive as it might be some type of local thing, meaning it may not be prevalent in your fishery? Either way you must give it a go it is a fish catching technique for sure.

I doubt Gary Yamamoto had ever been heard of when wacky worming first took the fishing world by storm. It's been around for at least 3 decades that I know of. We used to use the straight tailed worms, like Creme offered, a lot for wacky worming back in the day.

@Gon2long....Spinal fusion?.....ouch :unsure:  Good luck with that bud.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I remember learning of the wacky worm a very long time ago. Yes.. way before Gary Yamamoto was even heard of.

They catch fish using a variety of different types of worms and soft plastics. Funny though... I can honestly say that even though I have tried it a few times, I never stuck with it long enough to catch a single fish with it.

Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow and change all of that :D

Your welcome and don't worry I'll be asking hard bait questions since I'm a soft bait guy so I'm quite sure we'll be even. I just dropped a ton of money on an airbrush (2) and all the necessary gear as I'll be laid up for months after spinal fusion, can't wait :mad:

Sorry to hear about the spinal fusion. I assume it will make life better than it is now. Surgery and sitting around for months isn't fun either. Hope everything goes according to plan with minimal pain. 

Sure thing on help with hard baits. Glad to help anytime.  :yay:

Learning the intricacies of the wacky worm is a lot like learning to fish a jig or any other lure as far as that goes. You just have to build your confidence in it. It work's best for me when fish are in shallow water. Say 8' or less. Any deeper than that and I don't have the patience to fish it properly. And it works better for me when there's some type of vegetation. It also shines in cooler temps when fish are a bit sluggish. Now what I call "cooler temps" might not mean the same thing in Rhode Island as it does in Texas. Down here anything below 70 degrees we consider "cool". And don't let anyone tell you it's not a big fish bait. I've caught them over 8 lbs. before and am pretty sure I've had some on that were bigger than that. We got on a wacky worm bite one December in 5 to 6 feet of water with the temps anywhere from 55 to 58 degrees and it lasted for several weeks. Almost all the fish we caught were anywhere from 4 to 7 lbs. so it will definitely catch some good ones.

good luck,

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

Thanks guys just want to get it over with very apprehensive for sure, yeah I've been using it for years don't know who came up with it but with the proper bait and honing the technique it's a fish catcher for sure. The O-ring was something newer than the technique though as I don't remember reading up on it till much later and the craze was with the Senko that's why the soft bait guys (me included) can get pretty anal about the weight and softness of our stick worms  :rolleyes: If you watch a real Senko sink without additional weight it shimmies on the sink kinda like flapping it's wings and has the perfect fall rate. There is a weight system on the market that's unique to this type of fishing, it's a lead ring with a slot in it to facilitate inserting the hook but I tried it and didn't like it at all. To me it's kind of a fish finder as it's a cross between a hard jerk to a fineness presentation.

Not sure but I can tell you that to buy in bulk is the way to go if your manufacturing baits, if it's for personal use well then getting them in any quantity is well worth it if it's just for your use as a technique. You'll still need a method to installing them but if you're creative that's easily achieved by using you skirt pliers or even needle nose pliers can be made to work.