ksbass

Wood Sealer

I'm pretty sure that Thompson's has some kind of wax or oil that would kill your paint job.   I use super glue followed by a coat of epoxy.   The bait is water tight after that process.

I do the same as benton b. The super glue not only adds another layer against water intrusion it also soaks into the wood a bit and makes a hard outer shell thus adding strength to the bait.

Ben

Some things to check out when looking at a any sealer or topcoat:  manufacturer's product description, application information, and the MSDS sheet.  Could literally save you headaches.  Thompson's MSDS sheet list ingredients one of which is parafin oil. That's a wax like material and won't play nice with paints and topcoats.  Application info recommends drying time of 48 hours.  Maybe if you let it seal and dry for a week then maybe it won't be a problem.  But me I won't wait that long if there is another product like super glue around.