basskandy

Clear Coats

Thinman,

That sounds like the product A-Mac tried. It should be called Eagle Supreme.The other product they have is called Eagle Gloss coat.Both are concrete sealers and both are lacquer based.I tried the Eagle gloss coat and it did give a nice clear top coat but it wasn't the strongest by any means.The Eagle Supreme I believe is a better product and is similar to the Gst sealer bought at Menards...Nathan

Is there a link where people buy it?

Are you asking about the Bob Smith epoxy? You can get it at Amazon or you can go to Bob Smith Industries and use the dealer locator to see if they have a dealer close to you. They make it in 3 different cure times. I use the 30 minute for sealing baits and as a top coat.

Ben

Ok I will take a look, Now I did notice that Amazon sells devcon 2 ton in 6 packs, Sounds like a bargain. Now do make your own stencils to put patterns on your baits? If so what kinda material do u use?

Unmixed two part epoxy has a shelf life.  After a while the catalyst part begins to yellow from age, so be careful buying it online.  A bargain may not be a bargain, especially if you're looking for it as a top coat.

A friend of mine, Dale Sellers,(Dale is semi-famous, he is retired but he used to do custom paint jobs for a lot of pro-bass fishermen...Dale was also the guitar player for the back up band on the TV show Hee-Haw for 7 years, as well as a studio guitar player in Nashville for many years, and he played on tons of famous hit songs, Google him)....anyways per Dale's advice I use a product made for rod-builders, called Flex coat. It takes about 24 hours to fully cure, but you can handle the lure in about 8 hours. I use a rotisserie set up to slowly rotate for an even coat. A coupe nice things about flex coat...it's strong, but flexible. And if you have a lure that gets teeth marks...just add a thin coat and it chemically bonds to the old finish. There are two versions of the coat. Thin coat for several layers, or thicker for one application. It is a two part epoxy. Measure with syringes, but don't use generic syringe from pharmacy cause they have silicone in them which ruins the product. I buy the flex coat and syringes from jannsnetcraft. Fyi...I have used Devcon 2 minute, and 30 minute epoxy...I like Flex coat way better, I think most people know this, but the two minute Devon yellows. I use the two minute stuff on purpose sometimes if I make a vintage copy,...I think kinda cool cause it looks old. I never would, and please don't use this idea to make antique forgeries.

Edited by bluewaterspecial

basskandy,

Why did you quit using the Devcon?

bluewaterspecial,

Dale taught a friend of mine to paint when he lived in Nashville. Then my friend taught me. I spent many years learning how to shoot lacquer from him. I know how they did things. The paint that they used was pretty awsome. They might have used a little flex coat now and then, but most of their clearcoats they sprayed. I really don't think that flex coat was used on those suspending jerkbaits that he painted. Tell Dale that Skeeter says hi and that I continue to look for Sallys' crystal ball.

Why did you quit using Devcon?

Skeeter

Skeeter,

I don't know what he used to do when he was in full production mode, but when I was last at his house here in Wisconsin....he showed me his workshop in the basement. I asked him specifically about spraying vs. brush on clear coat. He said he used to spray, but only uses brush on flex coat nowadays. He said he does many thin coats.

So based on his recommendation I started using Flexcoat. I been planning to give him a call soon, I'll mention you and Sally's crystal ball.

I use Devcon in a pinch, but I asked Dale about it, and in his words..."naw, you don't wanna use that stuff, git you some flexcoat"

I met Dale thru music, about the same time I made my first 10 lures. He's very cool and nice. He even gave me several lures that he did.

When I mentioned him here at TU, I hoped and figured someone here would be familiar with him and his lure work.

Ryan

Depending on the type of clear coat your using it can be sprayed, brushed or dipped. As far as I know epoxies are brushed on. Urethane's can be dipped, sprayed or brushed. Things like auto clear are sprayed. It really depends on the type of clear coat your planning on using.

hope this helps,

Ben