ravenlures

Knots In White Cedar

How do you deal with small surface knots in white cedar, plus how big do you go with them. I have took some and (small ones) bored them out with dremel tool and filled with filler. I keep them for myself or give them away. Try to sell only the clear ones or at least 95% clear.

You can have a good piece of wood until you turn it down, and there they are, small but they piss me off.

Wayne

Not to be a tool but I read your title with the Moody Blues "Kights in White Satin" melody.

I apologize. I haven't worked with white cedar.

Cheers and keep on, mate!

HAHA that is funny :lolhuh: ! subsailer618. A little levity never hurt any fisherman!

Ravenlures,

Go with the other advice above, toss the knots. They are harder to work around It's not like you are leaving them exposed for an artistic accent.  But I guess that depends on how expensive the wood is and how hard it is to come by. I wouldn't want anything bigger that a 1/4" hole to fill. the filler would change the buoyancy and balance of the lure.

I am fortunate. I get a load every year of white cedar from northern Ontario. my sis has a lodge /sawmill and gets cedar free.

its beautifull wood. very light.

normally though we use western red.

purchasing wood you have to check every board.

.knots/grain all configure into it.

any one ever notice lumber yards sell kild dried cedar but its stored outside.

daaagh how dumbs that lol.