HickoryHollow

Anise

Anise is my no. one choice . However you can get in trouble using it straight here in Oklahoma .I use 3 scents 2 of which can't tell cause they are in my toad sauce . Then for giggles and back woods fishermen I put Copenhagen in place of string glitter sometimes . LOL No brag just fact .

Anise is my no. one choice . However you can get in trouble using it straight here in Oklahoma .I use 3 scents 2 of which can't tell cause they are in my toad sauce . Then for giggles and back woods fishermen I put Copenhagen in place of string glitter sometimes . LOL No brag just fact .

LOL!  I've chewed Copenhagen for over 30 years and never thought of that!

You guys are talking about being "old" when remembering anise oil. How many of you remember asphidity? Never heard of it being used as a bass attractant, but do remember it being used in catfish bait. That stuff would stink a buzzard off of a gut wagon that had been sitting in the hot sun for a week. It was the stuff that grandma would put in a bag and make you wear around your neck when you got a sniffle or runny nose. Doubt if it cured anything, but it would keep other folks far enough away from you that they weren't going to catch your cold.

Ben

We smeared catfish charlie on the screen window of the girls cabin when I was a young buck. The old state park cabins didn't have a/c back in those days just a big old fan that pulled air in. Things went downhill fast after that stunt. This was at our annual church youth outing. Wouldn't have been quiet as bad if my mom hadn't been staying in the cabin. 8O

You guys are talking about being "old" when remembering anise oil. How many of you remember asphidity? Never heard of it being used as a bass attractant, but do remember it being used in catfish bait. That stuff would stink a buzzard off of a gut wagon that had been sitting in the hot sun for a week. It was the stuff that grandma would put in a bag and make you wear around your neck when you got a sniffle or runny nose. Doubt if it cured anything, but it would keep other folks far enough away from you that they weren't going to catch your cold.

Ben

The old folks in my neighborhood used to use that when I was a kid.  It was horrible!

But everyone switched to Vick's Vaporub as soon as it came out.  Menthol smelled waaaaay better!

I usually make about 5 oz. batches of plastic. How much anise oil should I put in a batch? (drops)

Depends on which anise you're using as some are MUCH stronger than others.  I used Pro Cure and Lure Crafts scents and since both seemed to be fairly equal in strength, about 2 drops per ounce of plastic should do the trick.  You also wanna make sure you're adding the scent just before pouring as it will cook out of the bait.